Apr 21, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
LOS ANGELES — There wasn’t much insight to be gained from Vinny Del Negro’s session with the media before his Clippers took down the Grizzlies in Game 1 of their playoff matchup on Saturday.
But there was some fun at the very end, when Del Negro gave an honest answer to a question about the other NBA team that plays at Staples Center.
Del Negro was simply asked if the Lakers have a shot against the Spurs. His one-word answer, after pausing for a second or two: “No.”
The room responded with laughter at both the brevity and the clarity of the response, and Del Negro light-heartedly defended his choice by reminding us of where he spent six of his 12 seasons as an NBA player.
“I played for the Spurs,” he said.
Lakers fans didn’t think this was very funny, however, as evidenced by the way they laid waste to my Twitter mentions with hilarious (and largely profane) replies after I posted Del Negro’s remark Saturday night.
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 15
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 39
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 22
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 64