Apr 21, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
LOS ANGELES — There wasn’t much insight to be gained from Vinny Del Negro’s session with the media before his Clippers took down the Grizzlies in Game 1 of their playoff matchup on Saturday.
But there was some fun at the very end, when Del Negro gave an honest answer to a question about the other NBA team that plays at Staples Center.
Del Negro was simply asked if the Lakers have a shot against the Spurs. His one-word answer, after pausing for a second or two: “No.”
The room responded with laughter at both the brevity and the clarity of the response, and Del Negro light-heartedly defended his choice by reminding us of where he spent six of his 12 seasons as an NBA player.
“I played for the Spurs,” he said.
Lakers fans didn’t think this was very funny, however, as evidenced by the way they laid waste to my Twitter mentions with hilarious (and largely profane) replies after I posted Del Negro’s remark Saturday night.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)