Apr 21, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
LOS ANGELES — There wasn’t much insight to be gained from Vinny Del Negro’s session with the media before his Clippers took down the Grizzlies in Game 1 of their playoff matchup on Saturday.
But there was some fun at the very end, when Del Negro gave an honest answer to a question about the other NBA team that plays at Staples Center.
Del Negro was simply asked if the Lakers have a shot against the Spurs. His one-word answer, after pausing for a second or two: “No.”
The room responded with laughter at both the brevity and the clarity of the response, and Del Negro light-heartedly defended his choice by reminding us of where he spent six of his 12 seasons as an NBA player.
“I played for the Spurs,” he said.
Lakers fans didn’t think this was very funny, however, as evidenced by the way they laid waste to my Twitter mentions with hilarious (and largely profane) replies after I posted Del Negro’s remark Saturday night.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 11
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 8
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 14
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23