Steve Nash: ‘I’m not myself’

Apr 21, 2013, 10:51 PM EST

Steve Nash AP

Steve Nash – who left his last two games, March 28 and March 30, with injuries – shot just 6-of-15 and had only three assists in the Lakers’ Game 1 loss to the Spurs today. He was a big reason the Lakers posted a dismal offensive rating of 82.7, which was slightly lower when Nash was on the court.

Nash shot just 2-of-8 from mid-range, an area where he shot 50 percent during the regular season and an area the Spurs don’t defend particularly well. Via Mike Bresnahan and Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times:

“I’m not myself,” Nash said. “I’m not moving that well. I’m struggling a little bit. I probably had a few shots in there that I probably normally make, but I still think it’s important to try and contribute. We don’t have enough points in our lineup every night.”

Unfortunately for the Lakers, they have little choice but to run their offense through Nash with Kobe Bryant out. The 39-year-old Nash might look like himself for spurts in this series, but it’s difficult to imagine it happening for four of the next six games.

1. saint1997 - Apr 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Such an easy dude to root for and an example of a true likeable superstar. I hope he finds it soon!

2. wmnatzakanian - Apr 22, 2013 at 5:37 AM

enjoyed watching nash early in his career, but like many who simply can’t retire on top. Lake Show is old and slow, need new and fresh.

3. dls612 - Apr 22, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Ok I’ll say it! He’s OLD!!

4. omniusprime - Apr 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Ancient Trash Nash has been nothing but garbage this past season, he is one of the big reasons the Lakers stink this year. Trash Nash can’t play defense and he’s just too old and decrepit to play offenses. If Trash Nash wants to do something positive for the Lakers then he should retire now, not wait for the end of the season.

In between Trash Nash and Steve Flake the Lakers have the two most incompetent point guards in the NBA. The Lakers need a great young point guard like Stephen Curry or Kyrie Irving, not yesterday’s garbage like Trash or Flake. No wonder the Lakers always look a step slow when both of these buffoons are in the game.

Fire Dumbtoni!!! Trade Trash Nash and Steve Flake!!! Get Well Soonest Kobe!!!

• unxpexted1 - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I was watching the Lakers game yesterday with my girl who doesn’t watch basketball, and she looks at me and goes……..”why does the other team look so much faster than you’re team” lol. I was pissed at her for talking junk but at the same time couldnt be mad.

There was a time when you could win in this league by being big. But that time is over, its all about athleticism. So until the lakers address that issue on the peremiter its going to be tough for us to win again. Or they have to slow the game WAY down a la memphis.

• loungefly74 - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM

that made me laugh. thanks man. yeah, my kid pulls the same trash talk…its funny. your assessment is true. the league does this “cycle” thing…right now, fast, small, athletic teams are hot.

5. yuwannano - Apr 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Stevie…Can I call ya Stevie? You’re pushing 40, let it go! You’re a class act and it’s time for you to retire.

6. skids003 - Apr 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM

How come when Nash shoots 40% he is trashed, but yet the great ego Kobe can shoot 20% and still his worshippers kiss his rear!! Amazing, the media and Faker fans….

• vi3tguy415 - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM

cuz kobe goes and get rebounds and assists. guards the best player. what does nash do? a few assists and being torched.

• danrrtx - Apr 26, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Ha! Granted the Lakers offense is hurting without Kobe, but you did at least notice that the Lakers defense has improved greatly since Kobe went down…right? Kobe guarded the best player on the other team for a couple of games in a row before he realized it’s too much work. His defense has been horrible, and a big part of the problem for the Lakers this year. Nash’s team defense has been MUCH better than Kobe’s, even though Kobe is capable of much better. What does that say?

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches