Apr 21, 2013, 11:32 PM EDT
For the first time since the 1999-00 season, when Michael Finley did it, Dirk Nowitzki didn’t lead the Mavericks in win shares. As Nowitzki missed a large of the 2012-13 season due to injury, Vince Carter, Darren Collison and Shawn Marion passed him in the all-in-one stat.
If the Mavericks have their way, Nowitzki won’t be their top player again. Rick Carlisle on KESN-FM 103.3, as transcribed by The Dallas Morning News:
On if the Mavs’ goal is to make Dirk Nowitzki their second best player:
“It’s definitely a goal. I think it’s a great goal for any team to have a new best player and have their present best player become their second best player. That’s something logical. I think any team would want to have that goal. Is it possible? Yeah, it’s possible. Now, how likely is that? I can’t tell you for sure. But you know Mark (Cuban), you know Donnie (Nelson), and I’m an aggressive guy to and we’re going to do everything possible to facilitate that happening. I can’t name any names, but we’re going to be into this, and we’re going to be aggressive.”
In his last healthy 82-game season Nowitzki posted 11.1 win shares. Only LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Marc Gasol and Stephen Curry bested that total this season. Nowitzki has certainly declined since his 11.1 season, when he led the Mavericks to an NBA title, so the pool of players who could relegate him to No. 2 is bigger than those seven players. But it’s still a fairly small group.
The Mavericks clearly believe they can no longer build a team around Nowitzki and surround him with complementary players, and if their sole goal is a championship, they are correct. Look for more superstar chasing by Dallas this summer.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30