Apr 21, 2013, 11:32 PM EDT
For the first time since the 1999-00 season, when Michael Finley did it, Dirk Nowitzki didn’t lead the Mavericks in win shares. As Nowitzki missed a large of the 2012-13 season due to injury, Vince Carter, Darren Collison and Shawn Marion passed him in the all-in-one stat.
If the Mavericks have their way, Nowitzki won’t be their top player again. Rick Carlisle on KESN-FM 103.3, as transcribed by The Dallas Morning News:
On if the Mavs’ goal is to make Dirk Nowitzki their second best player:
“It’s definitely a goal. I think it’s a great goal for any team to have a new best player and have their present best player become their second best player. That’s something logical. I think any team would want to have that goal. Is it possible? Yeah, it’s possible. Now, how likely is that? I can’t tell you for sure. But you know Mark (Cuban), you know Donnie (Nelson), and I’m an aggressive guy to and we’re going to do everything possible to facilitate that happening. I can’t name any names, but we’re going to be into this, and we’re going to be aggressive.”
In his last healthy 82-game season Nowitzki posted 11.1 win shares. Only LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Marc Gasol and Stephen Curry bested that total this season. Nowitzki has certainly declined since his 11.1 season, when he led the Mavericks to an NBA title, so the pool of players who could relegate him to No. 2 is bigger than those seven players. But it’s still a fairly small group.
The Mavericks clearly believe they can no longer build a team around Nowitzki and surround him with complementary players, and if their sole goal is a championship, they are correct. Look for more superstar chasing by Dallas this summer.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 6
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1