Apr 20, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Despite how things ended for him in Orlando, or maybe in part because of just how honest he was publicly while dealing with the whole Dwight Howard situation in his final season has head coach there, Stan Van Gundy remains one of the more well-respected head coaches in the league, and an intriguing name that’s sure to surface on more than one team’s wish list this summer.
There are three teams currently without head coaches, after Byron Scott, Doug Collins, and Lawrence Frank were all ousted as soon as the regula season had finished.
Van Gundy, however, is reportedly not interested in any of those options.
The Detroit Pistons, Cleveland Cavs and Philadelphia 76ers are looking for coaches — three more possibilities for former Magic coach Stan Van Gundy. I’m told that Van Gundy has no interest in those openings at this time. More jobs could open after the playoffs end, however.
It’s unclear what it will take to bring Van Gundy back onto an NBA sideline, whether it’s next season or beyond. Typically, the teams in need of a head coach create those openings because there’s been a lot of losing, and because the talent level isn’t where it needs to be in order for them to compete with the league’s elite just yet.
There aren’t going to be a lot of winning situations to immediately step into, but it’s worth waiting until all options are on the table before Van Gundy or anyone else out of the game throws their name into the hat for consideration.
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 63
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 30
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 20
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 61