Don’t sleep on the Grizzlies and Hawks, or what we can learn by focusing on teams’ playoff rotations
Apr 20, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
As the playoffs approach, teams’ regular-season statistics will inevitably be used to compare teams. Occasionally, these numbers will be filtered in some way, but for the most part, full-year statistics will be used.
Those players won’t be in their teams’ playoff rotations, so the minutes they played cloud assessments of their teams.
In an attempt to get better data, I’ve used nba wowy! to rank playoff teams by regular-season net rating (offensive rating minus defensive rating), counting only the lineups that include five players projected to be in the team’s post-season rotation.
This measure is far from perfect. It doesn’t account for opponent or weigh lineups based on how often they’ll be used in the postseason, and it’s impossible to precisely predict a team’s playoff rotation.
But here are a few conclusions I could draw:
- Every team’s net rating improved with this adjustment, which makes sense, considering this removes the, presumably, lesser play of end-of-bench players.
- The Hawks, whose net rating increased by 6.8, improved most.
- The Bulls, whose net rating increased by 0.3, improved least.
- The Thunder had the best regular-season net rating (+9.8), but that would tie for fifth after the adjustment.
- The Grizzlies were the only lower-seeded team to pass their first-round opponent after the adjustment, and Memphis would rank ahead of the Thunder (or Rockets) in a second-round series, too.
- The Lakers’ numbers are probably pretty unreliable, because with Kobe out, the adjusted number gives more weight to their backups than their remaining starters (who didn’t play much without Kobe).
Here’s how the adjustment affected each team’s offensive rating, defensive rating and net rating. Within each conference, teams are ordered by adjusted net rating.
No. 1 Miami Heat
Offensive rating: 113.2 to 114.8
Defensive rating: 104.5 to 103.9
Net rating: +8.7 to +10.9
No. 2 New York Knicks
Offensive rating: 111.4 to 116.5
Defensive rating: 106.8 to 106.0
Net rating: +4.6 to +10.5
No. 3 Indiana Pacers
Offensive rating: 104.6 to 107.5
Defensive rating: 100.3 to 100.0
Net rating: +4.3 to +7.5
No. 6 Atlanta Hawks
Offensive rating: 105.2 to 107.7
Defensive rating: 106.2 to 101.9
Net rating: –1.0 to +5.8
No. 4 Brooklyn Nets
Offensive rating: 108.6 to 110.2
Defensive rating: 106.7 to 105.7
Net rating: +1.9 to +4.5
No. 7 Boston Celtics
Offensive rating: 103.7 to 106.3
Defensive rating: 103.9 to 104.8
Net rating: –0.2 to +1.5
No. 5 Chicago Bulls
Offensive rating: 104.1 to 104.5
Defensive rating: 103.6 to 103.7
Net rating: +0.5 to +0.8
No. 8 Milwaukee Bucks
Offensive rating: 104.2 to 106.5
Defensive rating: 107.0 to 107.8
Net rating: –2.8 to –1.3
No. 2 San Antonio Spurs
Offensive rating: 108.5 to 108.6
Defensive rating: 101.8 to 97.0
Net rating: +6.7 to +11.6
No. 5 Memphis Grizzlies
Offensive rating: 105.3 to 108.9
Defensive rating: 100.6 to 98.4
Net rating: +4.7 to +10.5
No. 1 Oklahoma City Thunder
Offensive rating: 112.3 to 113.7
Defensive rating: 102.5 to 103.5
Net rating: +9.8 to +10.2
No 4. Los Angeles Clippers
Offensive rating: 111.2 to 115.4
Defensive rating: 104.1 to 105.6
Net rating: to +7.1 to +9.8
No. 8 Houston Rockets
Offensive rating: 110.4 to 112.8
Defensive rating: 106.9 to 104.6
Net rating: +3.5 to +8.2
No. 3 Denver Nuggets
Offensive rating: 111.0 to 112.0
Defensive rating: 105.7 to 106.1
Net rating: +5.3 to +5.9
No. 7 Los Angeles Lakers
Offensive rating: 108.5 to 104.7
Defensive rating: 107.2 to 99.8
Net rating: +1.3 to +4.9
No. 6 Golden State Warriors
Offensive rating: 106.5 to 110.1
Defensive rating: 105.6 to 106.8
Net rating: +0.9 to +3.3
Aug 2, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He will be one of the favorites to win ROY.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
He was a star with the Buffalo Braves (the franchise that is now the L.A. Clippers).
Aug 2, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
“Dude, what are you talking about? You’re only a year older than me!” — Giannis Antetokounmpo on Anthony Davis calling him “kid.”
Aug 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Okafor is getting acquainted with his young fans in Philadelphia.
Aug 2, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Davis is in talks to re-sign with the Clippers.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Hamilton played 14 games with the Clippers last season.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Rose played in the 2010 and 2014 FIBA World Championships.
Aug 1, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
That would be good news for the Spurs and bad news for the rest of the Western Conference.
Aug 1, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Noah spent most of last season limited by knee surgery.
Aug 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
His $4.7 million salary for next season is unguaranteed.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Paul is still in the running for a spot on the 2016 Olympic team.
Aug 1, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Will this lead to all 30 teams getting their own affiliates?
Hakeem Olajuwon and Dikembe Mutombo make surprise appearances for Team Africa in NBA exhibition game (VIDEO)
Aug 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Team Africa faced off against Team World in Johannesburg.
Aug 1, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Mbah a Moute signed a one-year deal with the Kings in July.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Biyombo has worked with Hakeem Olajuwon this summer on post moves, other parts of his game.
Aug 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
The Nets will be paying the price for their win-now era for a few years to come still.
Aug 1, 2015, 1:11 AM EDT
This is the right move, whether he decides to play in Rio or not.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:08 PM EDT
He looks like a guy who can live up to the No. 1 pick billing.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
Norris Cole is still looking for a bigger payday.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:31 PM EDT
Her credentials are unassailable.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 0
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48