Stephen Jackson says disagreement with Popovich over how good a player S-Jax is

Apr 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT

Stephen Jackson AP

You’ve seen the Spurs play and you know how it works — everyone fits in their role on the team. Even Tim Duncan and Tony Parker — they have a bigger role with more touches but it is still a role, a cog in the machine.

Stephen Jackson was not fitting that role so he was jettisoned from the Spurs right before the playoffs started (and replaced by Tracy McGrady).

Jackson spoke to S2Smagazine.com about it and basically admitted he didn’t think he was just another cog, he just said it from his perspective.

“We had a disagreement,” Stephen told Sister 2 Sister about his most recent coach Gregg Popovich. “He wanted me to agree to players being better than me, and I didn’t agree. I’ve been in the NBA a long time, so it’s just something I didn’t agree with and something I have no control over. He’s the coach. He controls who plays, and he controls the team, which I do respect. At the same time, I know what I can do and what I been doing my whole career, and I’m far from ready to hang it up. So, I can’t let one person tell me where I’m at 35-years-old. To me, it just didn’t make no sense…

“I don’t want to be a guy who’s just sitting on the bench stealing money,” he said.

Jackson wanted a bigger role, he wasn’t going to get it, and here we are.

This issue was not something new, there was talk of moving Jackson at the trade deadline, then they held on to him past the deadline where he could be waived and still be on another team’s playoff roster.

“It was talked about before the all-star break, before the trade deadline…about me not wanting to be here and me going to other teams, but they wouldn’t do it then,” Stephen explained. “If they would have done it then, I would be on another team right now.”

Popovich always seemed to get the best out of Jackson, but there was clearly some friction there that smoldered and eventually caught fire. That happens. I just don’t think the timing was fair to Jackson. Of course, the business of basketball is rarely fair.

1. 4thquartermagic - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM

So Spurs cut a guy who (allegedly) didn’t want to sit on the bench and steal money,
    To sign the guy who spent most of his career sitting in the training room stealing money?

• badintent - Apr 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM

PBT post of the Month !! Bar none.

2. pl4tinum514 - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I like SJax but he needs to realize what he is at this point in his career. He’s like Iverson, he doesn’t know he’s washed up.

• goraidersgospurs - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM

You do remember Jackson June 6 game 6 against OKC where he went 6 for 6 in a must win game, the guy can still Ball.

• hannsta - Apr 20, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Oh my god, your right, Stephen Jackson is the demon spawn himself!!

• cornbreadbbqred - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Raw Deal. Pop will live to regret that bush league move.

3. acdc363 - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM

lol great point 4thquartermagic!

4. goraidersgospurs - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I respect S.Jax comment (not just wanting to collect a check for nothing) Jamarcus Russell had no problems doing that to my Raiders!!!

• musician0785 - Apr 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Al Davis deserves some blame as well

5. rj2323 - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Captain Jack can still ball some other team will realize it next year

6. stebutt - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM

What a dummy. Shut up, play and you might make the finals. Now you’re sat watching them. Stooooopid.

7. fm31970 - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I feel vindicated.

Sincerely,

Scott Skiles

I’m sorry Mr. Jackson (whoooooooooooo….)
    You’re not that good-ooo-oood.

8. lakerluver - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Jackson is better than T-Mac at this stage of their careers.

• badintent - Apr 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM

one on one to 21 ,loser goes to D-League.

9. aldog83 - Apr 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I find it a LOAD BS!!!!!

That the San Antonio Spurs cut Stephen Jackson (who is no longer playoff eligible if picked up by another team)

AND the SPURS turn right around and sign Tracy McGrady from China immediately to replace him for the Playoffs!!!!

This is a BAD LOOPHOLE!!!

I would have LOVED to see Stephen Jackson get picked up by the LOS ANGELES LAKERS, who have a legit reason and need for SG (with KOBE gone)

It would have made for a great series to see Stephen Jackson against SPURS in Playoffs,

Plus too bad there is not some sort of exemption for “catastrophic” injuries ie KOBE/Lakers that would have allowed for them to add Stephen Jackson.

Although OLD he could have added another SHOOTER to with Howard and Gasol pounding the inside.

Oh well.

• aldog83 - Apr 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Nothing like a getting a chance to eliminate the team the threw him out street!

Call the Lakers S-JAX.

See if you can squeeze into the roster and stick it to POP!!!!

You would get just as many looks (or Better) in LA!!!

• jacksonkane - Apr 20, 2013 at 7:28 AM

That’s not a loop hole because ALL of the NBA teams had the opportunity to sign TMAC and none chose to. So that makes him eligible to sign.

Your proposal creates a NEW loophole, where teams (especially who arent making the playoffs) can cut players and have other teams pick them up. Can you imagine the chaos each year? In the last week of the season 50+ vets would hit the market and get signed by playoff teams.

The Lakers could have signed TMAC long ago mi amigo.

10. marcusfitzhugh - Apr 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM

“Jackson spoke to S2Smagazine.com about it . . . .”

Yo Kurt, when did you start reading “Sister2Sister” magazine?

I’m just messing with you. Too bad Jaxson is ineligible for the playoffs (San Antonio timed that right). Jackson and JR Smith coming off the bench in NY could have given south beach some sleepless nights. He can still ball so he’ll sign with someone next year.

11. metalhead65 - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM

so we are suppose to feel sorry for another over paid cry baby who put himself before the team again? sorry you did this to yourself. if the spurs were not going to get anything for you in a trade and they were not or they would have traded you then why should they do what’s best for you? if this clown is as good as he thinks he is then why has he played for half the teams in the NBA? besides despite what he says he is perfectly happy sitting on the couch collecting money for doing nothing.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches