Apr 19, 2013, 12:47 PM EST
Are there really a lot of teams clamoring for the services of Mike Brown?
We told you yesterday that the Cleveland Cavaliers were considering bringing back Mike Brown to coach the team after the firing of Byron Scott. I could see that. Despite what Lakers fans think, Brown is a solid NBA coach. The real question was whether Brown (who is still getting paid $4 million a year by the Lakers) would want to jump back into the game or take a year off.
Now there is this report from Mary Schmitt Boyer at the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
The Cavaliers are interested in rehiring former coach Mike Brown to replace Byron Scott, a longtime NBA insider told The Plain Dealer today, and may move quickly for fear that other NBA teams will court Brown.
I do not know who the source was for this report, but from where I sit it sounds like an agent or someone close to Brown trying to create demand. That or people from outside the organization hoping they hire Brown.
There really is no reason to rush this process and decision. Yes, there is some draft prep to do but that’s more a GM thing than something you have to have the coach in the room for. There is no reason to rush this.
Also, he doesn’t get to make the decision but if Kyrie Irving is your franchise player you keep him in the loop on the decision-making. You want to keep your star happy and put a team around him so he doesn’t look to bolt someday.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30