Joakim Noah will not start Saturday, sounds like a guy who may not play all series

Apr 19, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT

Joakim Noah AP

It’s not that the Chicago Bulls plans have to change dramatically if Joakim Noah is out during the playoffs, they are still going to try and be physical and grind the Nets down. They just aren’t going to be as good at it.

Noah sounds like a guy who is not going to play. Not in Game 1 Saturday, maybe not for a while.

Officially he is day-to-day, but Nazr Mohammed is starting, and you read what Noah said (via Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com) and tell me you think he is going to play soon. As in maybe all series.

“I’ve got a tear in my foot. It is what it is. I’m upset at myself because I let this linger for a long time and I have no one to blame but myself. I just wish that I was a little bit smarter. I played games in the regular season that I shouldn’t have played. It’s going to be tough, but these are the cards that I was dealt and I’m just going to do the best that I can to get back as quick as I can….

“I’m just taking an lot of anti-inflammatories just to be able to play. It just flares up on me at nights. Even in the limited time I had in the last two games, it wasn’t pretty. It’s painful and I’m just trying to find solutions. It’s tough, but at the end of the day, it’s not about one player. I’m really proud of this team and I think that we put ourselves in a pretty good situation. I think we’re a very capable group regardless, but I definitely want to be there and help us as much as I can,” he continued.

This is why Gregg Popovich, Doc Rivers and a host of elite coaches rest their players occasionally during the season and a lot down the stretch. In the NBA the playoffs are a second season, a more important season, and now the Bulls for the second straight year will be without their best player from the regular season.

The Bulls without Derrick Rose already had little margin for error. Now they have none.

If that.

1. Rich Peters - Apr 19, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Reblogged this on Higher Ground.

2. bux1022 - Apr 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Well maybe he will be cleared by the teams medical staff… and every game after, he’ll suit up, take part in warmups, and never play again for the rest of the season! Just maybe!!!

3. steelerfanforlife - Apr 19, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Helin you’re an idiot!!! So explain the injuries to the Spurs players and why half the Celtics are injured? It’s just part of the game!

• Kurt Helin - Apr 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM

The Celtics and Spurs are old, which is why their coaches rest them late in the season. The Spurs will have their big three ready to go in Game 1, the Celtics have everybody but Rondo ready (and that’s a fluke injury).

4. pantsfreezone - Apr 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM

And this is why Tom Thibodeau shouldn’t be Coach of the Year. He runs his teams into the ground regardless of their health or his team’s standings because he’s fixated on the inane. Winning a meaningless regular season game versus preparing your team for a playoff run is simply dumb.

He ran Rose into a knee injury, killed Deng’s wrist and never allowed Noah to get his foot right. The only person he didn’t destroy is Boozer because Boozer only plays half the time he’s on the floor anyway.

Enjoy your CoY candidate Bulls fans.

• gmsingh - Apr 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Why are people so stupid at assessing sports situations? Thibodeau, the only coach in NBA history to have the most wins in his first two seasons as coach, got screwed by the front office when they traded ALL their best bench players. Of course Thibs is going to play the players that give him the best chance of winning the most. In case someone reading didn’t catch the first part: HE IS THE ONLY NBA COACH IN HISTORY TO HAVE THE MOST WINS IN THE LEAGUE HIS FIRST TWO YEARS AS COACH. Oh, wait: and that was without the LeBron, Kobe, or Durant. It’s a shame that David Stern has made the league all about hype and bullish*t. Thibs has never had the best talent but he’s been the best coach with the best record. It’s a pity that John Paxson stabbed him in the back this year (after signing him long term, no less) and that the majority of people don’t seem to realize how badly Thibs has been screwed by his front office. Their mentality has been “we can’t compete without Derrick!” which is a LOSER’S mentality.

• Kurt Helin - Apr 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

You don’t think the minutes he played all those guys to get those records had something to do with the way the Bulls physically break down at the ends of seasons?

• gmsingh - Apr 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM

You tell me: Deng played the most minutes out of any of them, and then went on to play in the Olympics afterwards. With a torn ligament in his wrist no less. Some guys can handle, like your guy LeBron, who is physically one of the most durable players I have ever seen. Compare and contrast that to Popovich, who rests his guys all the time, and where did that get Tony Parker?

• Chace - Apr 20, 2013 at 8:36 PM

They’d be in the luxury tax right now if they kept their bench from last year. They *say* they’re willing to pay the luxury for a team they think can win a championship so we’ll see if that was lip service next year when Rose comes back.

• gmsingh - Apr 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I’m not sure I get your point: the team will self destruct if they have to pay the luxury tax? We’re not talking about a small market team here. I think these teams need to be sued. If they don’t make every effort to be competitive just so they can make more money they aren’t giving the fans what they are paying for. Baseball is the worst culprit, but the NBA is a close second in the fans not getting all they are paying for category.

5. doublezero74 - Apr 19, 2013 at 8:01 PM

What a dumb organization.

6. thomaskouns - Apr 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I live in the Bay Area and am a Warriors fan but the Nuggets will smoke them.

The Nuggets will kill the Warriors on the boards and are one of the best half-courts teams in the league when the playoffs become a half-court game. The Warriors are most vulnerable against defensively oriented teams especially as Bogut is not close ton100%.

7. gmsingh - Apr 20, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Question for Kurt: you mentioned Doc Rivers in your article: why did the Bulls finish with a higher seed than the Celtics?

• Kurt Helin - Apr 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM

They won more games.

• gmsingh - Apr 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Intellectual bankruptcy, as expected. Thibs has gotten more out of less for three years in a row now.

8. Chace - Apr 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM

O RLY???

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches