Apr 19, 2013, 1:58 AM EDT
This doesn’t really change anything for the Knicks — they have been without him for most of the season. But they could have used him.
Don’t expect to see Amare Stoudemire in the first round of the playoffs.
That word comes from Knicks coach Mike Woodson, who didn’t sound very optimistic, as reported by ESPNNewYork.com.
“I think he’s going to be out,” Woodson said Thursday. “That’s my gut.”
Stoudemire was on the floor during practice but hasn’t started running yet. The veteran power forward underwent surgery March 11 to clean up debris in his right knee.
My gut says if you haven’t started the running part of your rehab yet you are not going to be playing basketball in the next couple weeks
This is not some kind of big loss for the Knicks — they closed the season 17-6 and all of that was without Stoudemire in the lineup. That said they could use his size and depth along the front line against Boston, however.
The guy the Knicks really need to have playing at full speed along the front line for this series is center Tyson Chandler. They need his defense in the paint. And it sounds like he’ll be ready to go.
“It’s the best I’ve felt in a long time,” Chandler said. “It actually was a blessing in disguise that I was able to get that time off because now I’ll have fresh legs throughout the playoffs and I’m excited for this long run we’re about to endure.”
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 1
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 16
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 41
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59