Apr 18, 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
Lawrence Frank job as the Pistons coach was already in trouble.
There were serious questions about whether Frank the right guy to coach a developing team. The Pistons owner said he expected to make the playoffs this season and what he got instead was a 29-win season. Which followed a 25-win season. And while this isn’t a very good roster in Detroit there are good young pieces and questions about how they are being used and developed.
With his brief tenure rapidly reaching a crossroads, Detroit Pistons coach Lawrence Frank informed owner Tom Gores that he shouldn’t be retained for the third year of his contract unless the franchise is willing to guarantee the deal’s fourth-year team option, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
In the week prior to completing his second season as Pistons coach on Wednesday night, Frank delivered this message to Gores and Detroit general manager Joe Dumars in face-to-face and telephone discussions, sources said.
That sounds like a coach who realizes he is in trouble trying to make a last stand to me.
The Pistons are going to have a lot of decisions to make this summer — they have more than $20 million in cap space to start building a better roster around the strong front line of Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe. They have a couple nice backcourt pieces in Brandon Knight and Kyle Singler, but the Pistons have a long way to go with this roster.
The question is will Joe Dumars get the chance to build that roster and will Frank get the chance to coach it?
We’ll likely find out those answers in the next couple days, but it sounds like Frank knew he was being pushed out the door.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 12
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50