Apr 18, 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
Lawrence Frank job as the Pistons coach was already in trouble.
There were serious questions about whether Frank the right guy to coach a developing team. The Pistons owner said he expected to make the playoffs this season and what he got instead was a 29-win season. Which followed a 25-win season. And while this isn’t a very good roster in Detroit there are good young pieces and questions about how they are being used and developed.
With his brief tenure rapidly reaching a crossroads, Detroit Pistons coach Lawrence Frank informed owner Tom Gores that he shouldn’t be retained for the third year of his contract unless the franchise is willing to guarantee the deal’s fourth-year team option, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
In the week prior to completing his second season as Pistons coach on Wednesday night, Frank delivered this message to Gores and Detroit general manager Joe Dumars in face-to-face and telephone discussions, sources said.
That sounds like a coach who realizes he is in trouble trying to make a last stand to me.
The Pistons are going to have a lot of decisions to make this summer — they have more than $20 million in cap space to start building a better roster around the strong front line of Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe. They have a couple nice backcourt pieces in Brandon Knight and Kyle Singler, but the Pistons have a long way to go with this roster.
The question is will Joe Dumars get the chance to build that roster and will Frank get the chance to coach it?
We’ll likely find out those answers in the next couple days, but it sounds like Frank knew he was being pushed out the door.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18