O.J. Mayo opts to become a free agent this summer

Apr 18, 2013, 3:05 PM EST

John Salmons, O.J. Mayo

Squeezed by the market last off-season, O.J. Mayo signed relatively modest two-year contract containing a player option for the second season with the Mavericks last summer in order to rehabilitate his stock, and that’s what he did. After a much more successful season than his previous two, Mayo has declined his player option for just over $4.2 million and will become a free agent, according to Brad Townsend of The Dallas Morning News.

At one point, the question with Mayo was whether he was just giving maximum effort during a contract season, but the conversation has changed due to a large drop in his play.

• First 61 games: 17.4 points per game, 46.2 percent from the field, 42.4 percent on 3-pointers
  • Final 21 games: 9.3 points, 39.9 percent from the field, 33.3 percent on 3-pointers

Mayo will have to explain those numbers to prospective teams before he can get the big bucks, but his season definitely earned him more than $4.2 million next year.

1. 4thquartermagic - Apr 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Meh. Just another journeyman type player who will cash big NBA checks until its time to cash checks in China.

2. howitzer819 - Apr 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM

“The team’s offensive philosophy changed when Dirk got healthy; I had to learn 2 new systems (initially coming in to Dallas/working with an alpha player like Dirk)… My experience and reflection on my statistics has shown me how to make the necessary adjustments to get the most out of myself and my team”

I’ll take 5% for giving OJ that answer

3. asublimeday - Apr 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Bulls.

• chicitybulls - Apr 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I’d rather give the job to Jimmy. Unless Mayo’s ok coming off the bench and taking less money for more years. Jimmy is bigger, stronger, better defensively and has shown the ability to score just as much. And he’s only finishing his 2nd year (1st season really getting minutes). He’s real good now and will improve over the summer and if given the minutes can produce as much offensively while giving you more defensively.

• borderline1988 - Apr 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I’m also a big Jimmy Butler fan, but let’s not run away with this…OJ Mayo is certainly a more talented scorer than Butler is.

Mayo would fit decently on the Bulls…let’s face it, the Bulls desperately need scoring, especially from the 2 position. Even when Rose was around, that was always their biggest issue. You can see how much Nate Robinson means to this team when he’s getting buckets.

The Boston Celtics proved that not every player on your team needs to be a stud defensively in order to win a championship (Ray Allen and Paul Pierce are average defenders at best).
        As long as you have good interior defense, a good defensive coach/system, and all players buying into the system, your team can still be an excellent defensive team.

That being said, Mayo is clearly a head case, and players like that are always risky.

4. progress2011 - Apr 18, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Joe Johnson 2.0 !!!

All the “POTENTIAL” in the world…but soft as Charmin tissue paper !

I’ve NEVER seen either show any emotion or become the least bit excitable to win a game !

They walk around as if, who cares if I win or lose ….as long as my Bentley is clean when the game is over!

Anybody that pays this guy one penny over the league minimum…..may as well flush money down the toilet!

5. cantonbound13 - Apr 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Some team will overpay for him. It’s a weak free agent market.

6. bifford - Apr 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I feel sorry for the fans of the team that gives this guy a huge contract.

7. watermelon1 - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Sounds like the perfect guy for the wizards…

8. kanemoney - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM

He’s a good player so it will come down to value. I’d love him as a 6th man earning about 5-7mil. I think that’s his market.

9. money2long - Apr 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM

well, the wolves DID draft him

10. daddyghi - Apr 19, 2013 at 1:42 AM

i bet Cuban will let him go…

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches