Apr 18, 2013, 2:48 AM EDT
The Lakers had made the playoffs before they even tipped off against the Rockets on Wednesday, thanks to the Jazz losing in Memphis earlier in the evening.
The only question for L.A. was whether they’d finish as the seven or eight seed, with the seven being preferable since it would mean avoiding a first round matchup against Oklahoma City. But to get there, they had to secure a win over the Rockets, who had similar aspirations.
In the end, the Lakers pulled it out, after trailing by double digits in the third quarter and by seven with under 10 minutes to play in regulation. L.A. overcame a dreadful night of shooting (36.7 percent) by seeing five of its players finish in double figures to get the 99-95 victory which sets up a date with the Spurs in San Antonio on Sunday.
The Lakers should have had this one wrapped up in regulation, but a mad scramble on the final Rockets possession ended with the ball in the hands of Chandler Parsons, who drilled a three-pointer from a good five feet beyond the top of the arc to tie the game at the buzzer.
Houston went just 1-7 from the field in the extra session, and the Lakers’ team defense — despite a 30-point effort from James Harden — was responsible for this win more than anything else.
The Rockets open the playoffs as the eight seed against the Thunder in Oklahoma City on Sunday. That’s the matchup fans should want to see, considering that Houston ranks number one in the league in pace, while OKC is tied for the league lead in offensive efficiency with the Heat at a blistering 110.3 points per 100 possessions.
Rounding out the rest of the playoff matchups in the West, Golden State and Denver both won as expected, so the Nuggets finish as the three seed and will face the Warriors beginning in Denver on Saturday.
The Clippers ended the season on a seven-game winning streak with a win over the Kings, and will host the Grizzlies in a rematch of the epic first round series the two teams played in a season ago that ultimately went seven games. That four-five matchup gets started in Los Angeles on Saturday night.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 62
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 13
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32