Suns players irritated by playing for Suns

Apr 17, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT

Luis Scola, Dante Cunningham, Ricky Rubio

The Suns have gone from a team trending downward with no direction featuring the awesome play of Steve Nash to a team trending downward with no direction. They haven’t had a winning season since Amar’e Stoudemire played for them, and their 25-56 record guarantees the second-worst mark in franchise history, behind only the 16-66 team in 1968-69.

Phoenix fired Alvin Gentry mid-season, but Lindsey Hunter hasn’t improved the record and has caused even more upheaval. This is a mess a simple coaching change won’t fix.

Needless to say, the players have noticed. Scott Bordow of azcentral.com:

Would a third coach in less than a year be unsettling for the team?

“I think it would be a sign of things being bad,” Scola said. “But things are bad.”

Asked if there were any positives to take from the season, forward Luis Scola said: “It was a bad season. We should have won a lot more games than we did. There’s just not a lot of positive.”

Shannon Brown, who started 20 games in late 2012 before becoming a reserve, has taken the Suns’ issues personally. Via Paul Coro of azcentral.com:

“I did what I needed to do as a starter and handled my business,” Brown said. “For some reason, they want to cut my legs from under me. I know I’m built for it. I did a great job of holding my composure and not letting it get to me to where I did something detrimental to my career. I showed a lot of character by sitting back while I was taken advantage of in a lot of ways. I’ve done everything asked of me in practice and made sure to show these people what time it is. It definitely hurts to sit on the bench, watching us lose night in and night out knowing I can help and being lied to. It’s been a crazy year. I’m just glad I made it through.”

Brown’s contract has $3.5 million remaining for next season, but the Suns can waive him before free agency begins and pay him just half that amount.

It’s some of the limited flexibility Phoenix has.

1. rjlink1 - Apr 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Nice of Shannon to congratulate himself though.

2. djjackson81 - Apr 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Scola is traded this off season Brown will be released Gortat will get dealt and hopefully they move on from Hunter

3. timb12 - Apr 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I thought they were going to be better this season. They probably would have been had they not tried to tank. I know they won their game against the Rockets, but Scola was dominating and they sat him for most of the 4th. I’d be mad if I was Shannon Brown too.

4. mwatts1 - Apr 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Robert Sarver pulled off the impossible and made the Phoenix Suns irrelevant in the state of Arizona. This man has single handedly destroyed 25 plus years of great basketball tradition and a passion so thick you could cut it with a knife. Now, the seats are empty, the fans are gone, and no one is interested in being a fan anymore. SIMPLY SAD!

5. sunsation3413 - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM

This franchise has become a joke. Its obvious Robert Sarver is more concerned about his wallet than anything else. Retaining Lon Babby as GM shows his true colors. Babby is an attorney and former agent who has no clue about putting together a winning plan let alone winning talent. Hiring Lindsay Hunter is just another money saving move. A young team that has a chance to rebuild with high draft picks needs veteran leadership in the key positions, ie GM and coach.This team has none of that which will guarantee to keep the Suns in the basement for years to come. The Suns have officially taken over from the Clippers as the worst run team in the league.

6. 4thquartermagic - Apr 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Man I remember how good the Suns used to be. They use to do damage in the playoffs.

Now, I can’t name 3 players on their team.

• JMClarkent - Apr 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM

KJ, Thunder Dan, Hornaeck, Tom Chambers… it is a shame.

7. Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Shannon needs to go back to the Lakers.

8. jaerba - Apr 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I feel like if you’re praising yourself for showing a lot of character, you’re probably not showing a lot of character.

9. skytzo425 - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM

The mistakes the Suns made were bringing in guys like Beasley and Scola and expecting to rebuild in a year. Scola unlike Beasley is a great locker room guy but it was so obvious that this team just needed to be blown up and started from scratch, so bringing in guys to try and perform a 1 year rebuild in a situation where it’s impossible is always going to cause locker room tensions when it ultimately fails.

There was some

• skytzo425 - Apr 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM

There was some good signs this year. Kendall Marshall who only started 3 games this year had 13, 10 and 14 assists in those starts, and that’s with a team with no true scorers on the squad. His shot wasn’t great butit was far better than people are making it out to be and if he can improve his scoring ability and the FO can find at natural scoring SG and SF in the next 2 drafts then this team will have a bright future. People can trash Marshall all they want but guys who don’t have the potential to be stars PGs don’t barely get any playing time then start 3 games and dish out 37 assists in 3 games, esspecially with the roster Marshall had around him.

10. jimsjam33 - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Trade Shannon Brown to the Clippers next season . I expect Eric Bledsoe to be traded only because he’s at the end of his rookie contract and he has the talent to run a team somewhere else . Brown would be a perfect two guard for the Clippers . I also suspect that this could be the last season for Chauncey Billups if the Clippers win it all . Jamal Crawford is a sixth man deluxe and would not impede Brown from starting .
    Unbelievable that the Lakers let Brown and Matt Barnes go and got nothing in return . Barnes will win the most improved this year in the NBA . ( At least he should in my opinion .)

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches