Apr 17, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
The Suns have gone from a team trending downward with no direction featuring the awesome play of Steve Nash to a team trending downward with no direction. They haven’t had a winning season since Amar’e Stoudemire played for them, and their 25-56 record guarantees the second-worst mark in franchise history, behind only the 16-66 team in 1968-69.
Phoenix fired Alvin Gentry mid-season, but Lindsey Hunter hasn’t improved the record and has caused even more upheaval. This is a mess a simple coaching change won’t fix.
Needless to say, the players have noticed. Scott Bordow of azcentral.com:
Would a third coach in less than a year be unsettling for the team?
“I think it would be a sign of things being bad,” Scola said. “But things are bad.”
Asked if there were any positives to take from the season, forward Luis Scola said: “It was a bad season. We should have won a lot more games than we did. There’s just not a lot of positive.”
“I did what I needed to do as a starter and handled my business,” Brown said. “For some reason, they want to cut my legs from under me. I know I’m built for it. I did a great job of holding my composure and not letting it get to me to where I did something detrimental to my career. I showed a lot of character by sitting back while I was taken advantage of in a lot of ways. I’ve done everything asked of me in practice and made sure to show these people what time it is. It definitely hurts to sit on the bench, watching us lose night in and night out knowing I can help and being lied to. It’s been a crazy year. I’m just glad I made it through.”
Brown’s contract has $3.5 million remaining for next season, but the Suns can waive him before free agency begins and pay him just half that amount.
It’s some of the limited flexibility Phoenix has.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 5
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 7
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31