Apr 17, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Some teams have packed it in already. The Portland Trail Blazers decided to play their young guys a lot more rather than chance a final playoff spot and have lost 12 in a row. The Cleveland Cavaliers are disinterested, and unfortunately that group includes Kyrie Irving.
But they aren’t the only teams that can’t wait for the final buzzer tonight.
The Philadelphia 76ers are one of those teams — this season has been a huge disappointment, centered around the fact center Andrew Bynum never touched the court. Coach Doug Collins is leaving the bench when the season ends.
And the players, speaking with Dei Lynam at CSNPhilly.com, sound ready for it to end.
“It is just going to be good to get it over with,” Spencer Hawes said. “With all the expectations we had coming in and then the way the season has gone it will be nice to take the positives going forward and flush the rest of it. It was a tough year on everybody; us [and] the fans, anyone involved with the organization.”
Thaddeus Young tends to dwell on what might have been.
“I have thought each and every day about that,” Young said when asked how often he thinks about what would have been if Bynum had played this season. “I pretty much have thought if we had had the big fella in the middle, pretty much a whole bunch of things could have changed. This team was assembled for him to pretty much work in the post and for him to be able to kick out to Dorell [Wright], Nick Young and Jason Richardson.
“He was the perfect situation for this team. But at the end of the day, it happened where he didn’t play this season. And then J-Rich went down and when guys go down like that, you pray they come back 100 percent when they come back and we just try to finish out for our brothers.”
The Sixers have a lot of changes coming this off season — that could start with the GM’s chair, it will include the coach, then there are a host of roster calls to make. Starting with whether to offer free agent Andrew Bynum a contract, and if so for how much?
But first, they just need to get this season over.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2