Apr 17, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Some teams have packed it in already. The Portland Trail Blazers decided to play their young guys a lot more rather than chance a final playoff spot and have lost 12 in a row. The Cleveland Cavaliers are disinterested, and unfortunately that group includes Kyrie Irving.
But they aren’t the only teams that can’t wait for the final buzzer tonight.
The Philadelphia 76ers are one of those teams — this season has been a huge disappointment, centered around the fact center Andrew Bynum never touched the court. Coach Doug Collins is leaving the bench when the season ends.
And the players, speaking with Dei Lynam at CSNPhilly.com, sound ready for it to end.
“It is just going to be good to get it over with,” Spencer Hawes said. “With all the expectations we had coming in and then the way the season has gone it will be nice to take the positives going forward and flush the rest of it. It was a tough year on everybody; us [and] the fans, anyone involved with the organization.”
Thaddeus Young tends to dwell on what might have been.
“I have thought each and every day about that,” Young said when asked how often he thinks about what would have been if Bynum had played this season. “I pretty much have thought if we had had the big fella in the middle, pretty much a whole bunch of things could have changed. This team was assembled for him to pretty much work in the post and for him to be able to kick out to Dorell [Wright], Nick Young and Jason Richardson.
“He was the perfect situation for this team. But at the end of the day, it happened where he didn’t play this season. And then J-Rich went down and when guys go down like that, you pray they come back 100 percent when they come back and we just try to finish out for our brothers.”
The Sixers have a lot of changes coming this off season — that could start with the GM’s chair, it will include the coach, then there are a host of roster calls to make. Starting with whether to offer free agent Andrew Bynum a contract, and if so for how much?
But first, they just need to get this season over.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 37
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18