Apr 17, 2013, 9:26 PM EST
Despite the perception of some, plenty of NBA players are smart about their money. Like anyone who makes seven or eight digits, the smart players want to put that money to work to make more money (I’m told, I don’t exactly know that first hand). They are looking for investments.
And like a number of wealthy folks, sometimes they get scammed.
Federal financial regulators broke up an alleged $18 million scam by Success Trade Securities selling fraudulent and unregistered promissory notes. And it turns out a number of NFL and NBA players — among them the Pistons’ Brandon Knight — were among those scammed. Yahoo Sports has the details.
On the heels of regulators red-flagging a potential $18 million scam last week, multiple federal agencies are probing investments sold to NFL and NBA players, Yahoo! Sports has learned.
According to multiple sources that spoke to Yahoo! Sports on the condition of anonymity, several professional athletes have either been contacted or been urged to contact investigators from the U.S. Department of Justice, the FBI and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Apparently Jade Management — a company who helps handle the finances of some professional athletes —recommended the Success Trade Securities bonds. Jade’s officials claim they did not personally profit from the deals, either way this certainly will not help their business reputation.
Jade Management founder Jinesh “Hodge” Brahmbhatt told Yahoo! Sports his firm had more than 30 athletes who purchased high interest investments that FINRA now says were fraudulent. Some of those investments purportedly generated interest returns between 11 and 26 percent.
File this in your “if the deal sounds too good to be true…” folder.
By the way, if you’re saying this happens to athletes and not people who know money I have two words for you: Bernie Madoff.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 22
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18