Apr 17, 2013, 1:55 AM EDT
In the last couple weeks the Clippers have hit a playoff stride — they had won five games in a row coming into Tuesday night and they were motivated because they still had playoff seeding to play for. On the other side the Trail Blazers had lost 11 in a row and have looked like a team going through the motions the past couple weeks.
Knowing that, this game went pretty much as you’d expect.
Blake Griffin had nine first quarter points on his way to 16, the Clippers blew the game open with a 21-3 run in the second quarter and cruised in with a 93-77 victory. Chris Paul did his usual thing and led the team with 11 assists.
What the win means is the Clippers head into the last game of the season with hopes of the three seed and home court in the first round still alive. To get the three seed the Clippers need to beat the Kings in Sacramento Wednesday, plus they need the Nuggets to lose at home to the Suns. The second part of that is not likely.
Still the Clippers need a win on Wednesday — a victory gives them home court in the first round of the playoffs if they face Memphis. If the Clippers lose and the Grizzlies beat the Jazz, the Grizzlies have home court in that series.
Wednesday’s game is not going to go as smoothly as Tuesday’s did for the Clippers. Few games over the course of a season do.
The Clippers never trailed but, as mentioned above, dominated the second quarter 26-13 and that’s when the game became a rout. In case the Trail Blazers had any dreams of a comeback in the third quarter Caron Butler came out and scored 18 of the Clippers 28 in the quarter to put an end to that. Butler finished the game with 22 points.
It was a business-like win for the Clippers on a night they needed a win. One more and they carry a seven-game winning streak into the playoffs — and they will have home court advantage.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 37
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18