Apr 17, 2013, 1:55 AM EDT
In the last couple weeks the Clippers have hit a playoff stride — they had won five games in a row coming into Tuesday night and they were motivated because they still had playoff seeding to play for. On the other side the Trail Blazers had lost 11 in a row and have looked like a team going through the motions the past couple weeks.
Knowing that, this game went pretty much as you’d expect.
Blake Griffin had nine first quarter points on his way to 16, the Clippers blew the game open with a 21-3 run in the second quarter and cruised in with a 93-77 victory. Chris Paul did his usual thing and led the team with 11 assists.
What the win means is the Clippers head into the last game of the season with hopes of the three seed and home court in the first round still alive. To get the three seed the Clippers need to beat the Kings in Sacramento Wednesday, plus they need the Nuggets to lose at home to the Suns. The second part of that is not likely.
Still the Clippers need a win on Wednesday — a victory gives them home court in the first round of the playoffs if they face Memphis. If the Clippers lose and the Grizzlies beat the Jazz, the Grizzlies have home court in that series.
Wednesday’s game is not going to go as smoothly as Tuesday’s did for the Clippers. Few games over the course of a season do.
The Clippers never trailed but, as mentioned above, dominated the second quarter 26-13 and that’s when the game became a rout. In case the Trail Blazers had any dreams of a comeback in the third quarter Caron Butler came out and scored 18 of the Clippers 28 in the quarter to put an end to that. Butler finished the game with 22 points.
It was a business-like win for the Clippers on a night they needed a win. One more and they carry a seven-game winning streak into the playoffs — and they will have home court advantage.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25