Apr 16, 2013, 5:04 PM EST
Tracy McGrady is back in the NBA.
A couple days after the Spurs cut loose veteran swingman Stephen Jackson, they have turned around and signed McGrady to a deal and he will join the team for its playoff run, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
McGrady played this season and China and has been cleared by his team there, Woj reports. Because McGrady has not been on an NBA roster this season he is eligible to play for the Spurs in the playoffs.
The 33-year-old seven-time All-Star came off the bench for the Hawks last season (5.3 points a game, shot 45.5 percent from three) and played solidly for them. However, he could not parlay that into another contract this season so he went and played a season in China.
Don’t expect a lot of run for McGrady, he’s not the 2003 model, but he gives San Antonio another practice body and a guy who can give them a few minutes if needed. As a veteran, he should step into the Spurs system without too much trouble and at this point in his career he knows his role. Plus, he’s an underrated passer.
Of course, if you think the Spurs are vulnerable to an upset, this just makes them more so — McGrady’s teams notoriously flame out early in the postseason. No team he has been on the active roster of has ever reached the second round of the postseason.
I’d mock this more, but it’s the Spurs. Every time they make a move like this and we laugh we end up regretting it a few weeks later when the guy plays great and everyone asks why didn’t their team sign this guy.
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 11
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 29
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 6
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 44
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31