Apr 16, 2013, 6:24 PM EST
And the anguish of waiting for Sacramento and Seattle fans will go on. And on.
The NBA Board of Governors (the owners) will meet this Thursday and Friday in New York and while they will discuss in some detail the proposed sale of the Kings to a Seattle group with plans to move the team north, there will be no vote.
So tweets Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times, who spoke with the NBA:
An NBA spokesman confirmed to PBT there will be not be a vote this week but the owners will debate the issue.
The reason for no vote is in part because the offers keep changing for the team.
The Seattle group — led by venture capitalist Chris Hansen and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer — upped its offer last week by $25 million (for the full value of the franchise, they would have to kick in an extra $16 million for their 65 percent). That would take the franchise value to $550 million.
The Sacramento group — put together by mayor Kevin Johnson with billionaire and minority Warriors owner Vivek Ranadive out in front — is expected to modify its offer for the team officially on Wednesday. They had matched the previous Seattle offer and after first saying they wouldn’t match this one they are making some tweaks.
All of this is a lot for the owners to digest — these are two strong offers, both with plans for new arenas. It felt like a week ago Sacramento had enough momentum to keep the team, but the increased offers left basically everyone unsure of how the ultimate vote will go.
The owners are apparently unsure as well and are going to take a little more time getting around to looking at the numbers and voting.
So Wednesday night may be the final Kings game ever in Sacramento. Or it may not.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 16
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 4
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11