Apr 16, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT
Monday night was the Cavaliers final home game of the season and the team’s annual “fan appreciation night” event. The Cavs were taking on the Miami Heat and that guy they used to all hate but now a bunch of them want back. Not that it mattered, the Heat rested everybody of consequence including the guy in question.
And yet, the Heat still beat a Cavaliers team that has stumbled toward the finish line. And part of those stumbles are on Kyrie Irving — he’s looked every part the disinterested 21-year-old on a bad team and very little like the insanely talented leader of an up and coming squad. He scored four points against the Sixers over the weekend and committed ridiculous fouls. His defense has been poor.
But he had the ball in his hands Monday night with a chance to beat the Heat, down one with 13 seconds to go. As Irving made his move Norris Cole stripped him clean. No last shot, Heat get the win.
Irving stormed off the court… except it was fan appreciation night. The tradition calls for the players to stay on the court, give their jerseys and shoes to fans, and generally show some love back to the fans that buy the tickets that pay their salary.
Irving was nowhere to be found. The Cavs tried to cover it up saying he was getting treatment on a sore heel that had never before been mentioned, but nobody bought it.
Irving took to twitter to admit he screwed up.
I’m not going to hold this, or really the entire end of this season, against Irving. I’m going to chalk it up to a learning experience. This time. He is 21 and lord knows I did some things at 21 I regret. (And a few things I’d like to do again, but that’s another post.) You get to mistakes, you get a second chance in America (for most things, anyway).
Let’s just hope we don’t see a repeat of this in future seasons.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18