Apr 16, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT
Monday night was the Cavaliers final home game of the season and the team’s annual “fan appreciation night” event. The Cavs were taking on the Miami Heat and that guy they used to all hate but now a bunch of them want back. Not that it mattered, the Heat rested everybody of consequence including the guy in question.
And yet, the Heat still beat a Cavaliers team that has stumbled toward the finish line. And part of those stumbles are on Kyrie Irving — he’s looked every part the disinterested 21-year-old on a bad team and very little like the insanely talented leader of an up and coming squad. He scored four points against the Sixers over the weekend and committed ridiculous fouls. His defense has been poor.
But he had the ball in his hands Monday night with a chance to beat the Heat, down one with 13 seconds to go. As Irving made his move Norris Cole stripped him clean. No last shot, Heat get the win.
Irving stormed off the court… except it was fan appreciation night. The tradition calls for the players to stay on the court, give their jerseys and shoes to fans, and generally show some love back to the fans that buy the tickets that pay their salary.
Irving was nowhere to be found. The Cavs tried to cover it up saying he was getting treatment on a sore heel that had never before been mentioned, but nobody bought it.
Irving took to twitter to admit he screwed up.
I’m not going to hold this, or really the entire end of this season, against Irving. I’m going to chalk it up to a learning experience. This time. He is 21 and lord knows I did some things at 21 I regret. (And a few things I’d like to do again, but that’s another post.) You get to mistakes, you get a second chance in America (for most things, anyway).
Let’s just hope we don’t see a repeat of this in future seasons.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31