Apr 16, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT
Monday night was the Cavaliers final home game of the season and the team’s annual “fan appreciation night” event. The Cavs were taking on the Miami Heat and that guy they used to all hate but now a bunch of them want back. Not that it mattered, the Heat rested everybody of consequence including the guy in question.
And yet, the Heat still beat a Cavaliers team that has stumbled toward the finish line. And part of those stumbles are on Kyrie Irving — he’s looked every part the disinterested 21-year-old on a bad team and very little like the insanely talented leader of an up and coming squad. He scored four points against the Sixers over the weekend and committed ridiculous fouls. His defense has been poor.
But he had the ball in his hands Monday night with a chance to beat the Heat, down one with 13 seconds to go. As Irving made his move Norris Cole stripped him clean. No last shot, Heat get the win.
Irving stormed off the court… except it was fan appreciation night. The tradition calls for the players to stay on the court, give their jerseys and shoes to fans, and generally show some love back to the fans that buy the tickets that pay their salary.
Irving was nowhere to be found. The Cavs tried to cover it up saying he was getting treatment on a sore heel that had never before been mentioned, but nobody bought it.
Irving took to twitter to admit he screwed up.
I’m not going to hold this, or really the entire end of this season, against Irving. I’m going to chalk it up to a learning experience. This time. He is 21 and lord knows I did some things at 21 I regret. (And a few things I’d like to do again, but that’s another post.) You get to mistakes, you get a second chance in America (for most things, anyway).
Let’s just hope we don’t see a repeat of this in future seasons.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 26
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25