Apr 16, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
We expected the New York Knicks would fill the last empty roster spot they had for the playoffs — not to get any meaningful minutes, but to give the Knicks another practice body and maybe a situation player.
They went with veteran swingman Quentin Richardson. The team announced the signing Tuesday.
We last saw Richardson with the Magic last season, where he played limited minutes and averaged 4.5 points a game on 37.6 percent shooting. The one thing he did well was knock down threes, at a 34.7 percent clip.
Richardson spent four seasons with the Knicks before, 2005-06 to 2009. He was often a starter and back in 2007 averaged 13 points a game.
Why Richardson? Here’s what coach Mike Woodson said, via ESPNNewYork.com.
“It gives us one more perimeter guy that can defend a little bit, that can make shots and space the floor like we play,” Mike Woodson said Tuesday on ESPN New York 98.7 FM radio. “I just think it adds to what we’re trying to do.
“We do have a lot of perimeter guys, but my thing has always been whoever plays, you’ve got to make the most out of your minutes. And if we get somebody in the game that’s struggling a little bit, then maybe I can turn to Quentin … to get it done. That’s the reason for bringing him to our ballclub.”
Richardson certainly had some battles defending LeBron James, but let’s not expect that again. Knicks fans, if you’re seeing a lot of Richardson on the court in the playoffs, it will be a bad sign. You’ve got better players already on the roster.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 67
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31