Apr 15, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
We have taken our fair share of shots at Timberwolves’ GM David Kahn over the years, and he made some bad gambles this year (Brandon Roy), but the disappointment of this season in Minnesota is not on him — injuries to Ricky Rubio (miss half of season after ACL), Kevin Love (broke his hand twice) and pretty much everyone else on the roster did this team in.
Kahn’s status is still up in the air. He may well not be back with the Timberwolves next season.
Taylor must decide whether to bring back Kahn next season by picking up the final option year on his contract. Kahn drafted, wooed and ultimately brought star point guard Ricky Rubio to Minnesota, and he patiently pursued Adelman as coach for months. He also has swung and missed on a lengthy list of draft picks, including lottery choices Jonny Flynn and Wes Johnson, as well as failed experiments with gifted underachievers Michael Beasley, Darko Milicic and Anthony Randolph.
By this time last year, Taylor already had long before decided to pick up Kahn’s fourth-year option. With two games now remaining, he said he remains undecided on Kahn’s future and has no timetable once the season ends to do so.
Part of this could be tied to reports that Taylor had found a minority ownership group that would come in and slowly take over the franchise for him (keeping it in Minnesota) — a group fronted by former coach Flip Saunders, who wants a front office role.
The biggest concern in Minnesota is the future plans of coach Rick Adelman, who is considering walking away from the game to be with his ill wife. He would be very hard to replace.
But after that there is what kind of deal to strike with restricted free agent Nikola Pekovic, how much to offer unrestricted free agent Chase Budinger, will Andrei Kirilenko pick up his $10.2 million option for next season. Adelman says the off-season priority needs to be to get a real two guard (what they hoped Brandon Roy might be, but that gamble didn’t work). And there’s more. Like the two first-round picks Minnesota has in this draft.
There will be a lot on the GM’s plate. Whoever it is. But this could be a turbulent summer for a team that seems poised to be a lot better next season.
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 25
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 1
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 26
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27