Apr 15, 2013, 1:07 AM EST
With teams busting it for playoff position tonight we feature three guys that helped their team big time Sunday night and got them in better playoff position.
Third Star: James Harden (29 points, 9 assists)
Houston controls its own destiny — win out and they get the six seed (and don’t have to face the Spurs or Thunder in the first round). And James Harden helped make that happen on Sunday, carving up Sacramento, getting all those points on just 16 shots. He had 23 points on 9-for-11 shooting in the first half. If you want a stat for how good a season Harden has had, the last Rockets player to have as many 20-point games in a season as him (64) was Hakeem Olajuwon in 1994-95.
Second Star: Andre Iguodala (28 points, 9 assists, 7 rebounds)
Since Danilo Gallinari went down Andre Iguodala has seemed to step up. He had big numbers against the hapless Trail Blazers, but in his last five games Iggy is averaging 16.8 points a game on 47.8 percent shooting (42.9 percent from three) with 9.4 assists and 10.2 rebounds. He single-handedly seemed to shut down every little run the Blazers made and this would have been a blowout if not from another amazing performance from Damian Lillard. With the win, the Nuggets are on the verge of locking up the three seed.
First Star: Dwight Howard (26 points, 17 rebounds)
Dwight Howard wanted to be the man in this one — he aggressively established his position on the low block early and bullied his way to the rim for 10 first quarter points. As he has been he was a defensive anchor for the Lakers and he got some help from the energy of the guys on the perimeter for a change. (The Spurs also just missed some shots, but the Lakers will take it.)
The bottom line is the Lakers out-hustled the Spurs on the night and Howard led that charge. And with that win the Lakers magic number to make the playoffs is one — they can clinch it themselves with a win over Houston Wednesday.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 2
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 10
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 10
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 5
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18