PBT Extra: Lakers adapt to playing without Kobe… for a while

Apr 15, 2013, 9:07 PM EST

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Today on PBT Extra Kay Adams and I talking the big story in the NBA — Kobe Bryant and his torn Achilles injury. We talk about when he could come back and the silly idea that Mike D’Antoni’s playing time is the reason for this. If you think anybody other than Kobe himself was in charge of his playing time lately then you don’t know Kobe and his dynamic with the Lakers.

Then we discuss the more interesting question to me: If Dwight Howard takes the alpha dog role on this team and the Lakers do well, is Kobe willing to cede some of his power when he comes back? Shaq couldn’t do it for Kobe but did it for Dwyane Wade and won a ring. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did it for Magic Johnson. If Howard steps up can Kobe share that role next season when he does return?

We also talk a little about Nerlens Noel declaring for the draft. It was the right move.

1. patsfan15 - Apr 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM

yay

2. jollyjoker2 - Apr 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Whose kidding who, Lakers are done for a long time. Dwight howard aint gonna carry you. Sell you seats if the market is still hot.

• paleihe - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM

You realize he was the main cog that took the Magic to the finals, right?

The Lakers are gonna have tons of cap space and the mystique of the Laker brand to recruit players. Never doubt the Lakers, you’re fooling yourself if you do. I don’t see Kobe retiring after next year. I think he’ll take a huge pay cut and play one more season to see if they can win a title.

Just my opinion, but I could be totally wrong.

• loungefly74 - Apr 16, 2013 at 9:38 AM

spot on. the Laker brand is the best in the NBA…has been for a very long time…and will continue to be…

• thesecondlakerzealot - Apr 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM

You are aware we are talking about the LAKERS right? When was the last serious drought they were in? It seems silly to me that people continue to blindly burry the franchise when they have been one of the most prominent organization in the NBA for 3 decades. Hatred for the LAKERS seems to have tarnished reason when making predictions on their behalf.
      Take this season for example. For good or bad the LAKERS are featured on almost every sports outlet daily whether they win or lose.
      Next time you try your hand at reading the future, consider the subject before hand, based on more than just emotion.

• bougin89 - Apr 16, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Why are you using all caps when you type lakers?

• thesecondlakerzealot - Apr 16, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Because, that way you know I am talking about the LAKERS, not Kobe, pau or Dwight, the LAKERS as a whole. Not many people care about the entire team.

• bougin89 - Apr 16, 2013 at 5:30 PM

That doesn’t make sense unless you’re trying to copy lakerluver and that’s just straight annoying.

3. daddyghi - Apr 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM

now that kobe’s gone.. im now a lakers fan… would be nice to see the lakers win it all without him!

• thesecondlakerzealot - Apr 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM

About the most ignorant comment ive ever read (almost). Hate the LAKERS for being successful, loved, talented, popular, rich, or even “over rated”, but dont hate them because ONE of the best players in this league siffered a season ending injury. Hate the LAKERS and kobe all you like, but even people who hate the LAKERS respect kobe and understand what he means to the NBA and basketball as a whole.

• daddyghi - Apr 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM

huwaw! STFU man! i have the right to diss out kobe as much as you dissin out my comment! as much as everyon in here for that matter… grow up! kobe’s done! it may not be now but in a year or 2… I’ll give it to you, make it 3 max… but he’s done! suck it up! such a looser…

4. melkipershero - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Depends what you mean by “huge” pay cut.

5. dalucks - Apr 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Are you kidding me? After one game? Sounds like fool’s gold to me. I am not buying it.
    Win a playoff series in LA Dwight and I might change my opinion about you.
    I might be wrong but I doubt it.

• bougin89 - Apr 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM

After reading your trade recommendations on the blogs lately I would have to say you’re probably wrong.

6. rumar1989 - Apr 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM

daddyghi, you know stupid and dum you sound, for you to say that now that kobe’s gone, you’re a laker fan, and
    hope they win it all without him. well first of all, they will play well in the playoffs, but one things for sure is they will
    not win it all, their record is too average to go all the way, and those vulnerablilities will show up in the playoffs.
    you may not be a kobe fan, going by your comment, but he’s still the face of the franchise, and the guy is the hardest and the most dedicated man on earth, how many guys would’ve gotten surgery the day after injuring it.
    basketball is his life, may i mind you. only an idiot and a dummy like you daddyghi, would say something really stupid.

7. paulhargis53 - Apr 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM

bougin: That IS lakerluver. He’s about to lose a bet to me( lakers out before 2nd round) he’s supposed to leave the site for good. So, he changed his name.
    How do I know its him?
    1.) The whole capital laker thing.
    2.) He use to hashtag the laker zealot at the end of his postings.
    3.) The same idiotic subject matter.
    4.) The unabashed defense of Kobe.

If its not him, where has lakerluver been for days?
    If its not him, then there are two toolboxes out there that are this dumb. Lord help us all if that’s the case!

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches