Apr 15, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Some people — and yesterday that group included some national television NBA pundits — will not let facts get in the way of some good speculation.
Any word leaked out of Dwight Howard’s camp has always been that he would stay a Laker. But that hasn’t stopped some people from speculating he might go to Houston or Cleveland (even though his already damaged image would take another hit as he would be seen as running away from the team of Kareem and Mikan and Wilt).
Now comes another report — this from the well-connected Sam Amick of the USA Today — that Howard is not going anywhere.
While the center who will be a free agent this summer has continued his noncommittal stance about whether he will sign with the Lakers or head elsewhere, two people close to him said they fully expect him to return. The people spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity out of respect for Howard’s decision to wait until the summer to make his final choice.
This is what we have heard all along. He’s not going anywhere.
Howard looked comfortable as the face of the Lakers on Sunday night, scoring 26 points and grabbing 17 rebounds as Los Angeles beat the Spurs. He was a vocal leader on defense and on offense was aggressive in getting deep post position so he could attack Tim Duncan. Dwight looked like a guy who wanted to take on the role as the leader of the Lakers.
Getting the Lakers into the playoffs — then playing well once there, even if the Lakers don’t get out of the first round — starts that process. He’s not replacing Kobe Bryant as the face of the franchise anytime soon, but he’s going to stick around L.A. and give it a shot.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5