Report: Tyrone Corbin will be back as Jazz head coach next season, whether team makes the playoffs or not
Apr 13, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
It’s been an interesting, up and down season for the Utah Jazz. The team has nine players who can become free agents after this season, yet for the most part, head coach Tyrone Corbin has done a decent job of getting his guys to come together, especially when you consider how close they are to a playoff spot with just three games left in the regular season.
It appeared as though after the All-Star break, when the Jazz were mired in a stretch where they were able to win just four times in 16 games, that Corbin had lost his players. But he and the team have recovered nicely, so the recent report that he’s expected to return to Utah as head coach next season — whether the Jazz end up in the playoffs or not — doesn’t come as too much of a surprise.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
But one source close to the situation, echoing the sentiments in last weekend’s Weekend Dime, insisted to ESPN.com this week that Tyrone Corbin will be back next season for the final year of his contract even if the Jazz — filled with free agents and youngsters — fail to reach the postseason.
We talked about this on the podcast — Utah needs to maintain some organizational continuity heading into next season when facing as much roster upheaval as is likely with all those free agents.
Corbin will be in the final year of his contract, so there’s no hurry in replacing him before then (and simultaneously paying two head coaches) with the team being no better than one on the fringe of playing in the postseason.
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 28
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 47
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 16
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55