Report: Tyrone Corbin will be back as Jazz head coach next season, whether team makes the playoffs or not
Apr 13, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
It’s been an interesting, up and down season for the Utah Jazz. The team has nine players who can become free agents after this season, yet for the most part, head coach Tyrone Corbin has done a decent job of getting his guys to come together, especially when you consider how close they are to a playoff spot with just three games left in the regular season.
It appeared as though after the All-Star break, when the Jazz were mired in a stretch where they were able to win just four times in 16 games, that Corbin had lost his players. But he and the team have recovered nicely, so the recent report that he’s expected to return to Utah as head coach next season — whether the Jazz end up in the playoffs or not — doesn’t come as too much of a surprise.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
But one source close to the situation, echoing the sentiments in last weekend’s Weekend Dime, insisted to ESPN.com this week that Tyrone Corbin will be back next season for the final year of his contract even if the Jazz — filled with free agents and youngsters — fail to reach the postseason.
We talked about this on the podcast — Utah needs to maintain some organizational continuity heading into next season when facing as much roster upheaval as is likely with all those free agents.
Corbin will be in the final year of his contract, so there’s no hurry in replacing him before then (and simultaneously paying two head coaches) with the team being no better than one on the fringe of playing in the postseason.
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 17
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 42
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 23
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 19
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23