Apr 13, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
If you had to name the head coaches who lead the league in technical fouls, the two names tied for second on that list with seven apiece might be among those you’d think of first.
The man at the top of the list, however, isn’t exactly a household name, and therefore probably wouldn’t come to mind until you’d exhausted all of the usual suspects.
Pacers head coach Frank Vogel has a league high nine technical fouls this season, with George Karl of the Nuggets and Doc Rivers of the Celtics just below him on that list.
The Indiana Pacers coach went into Friday’s game against the Brooklyn Nets with a league-high nine technicals among coaches in the league.
“Do I really?” Vogel asked, obviously surprised. …
Vogel has paid more than $22,000 for the nine technicals.
“Money well spent,” Vogel said.
Technical fouls are rarely a surprise to NBA head coaches; typically, they know which magic words will get them rung up automatically, and most veterans of the game like Karl and Rivers tend to pick them up strategically instead of out of frustration.
It’s unclear which category most of Vogel’s fall into, but either way, seeing his name at the top of the list for the season is definitely a surprise.
[Scott Agness of Pacers.com also had the story, and posted it on April 11.]
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 18
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6