Apr 13, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
If you had to name the head coaches who lead the league in technical fouls, the two names tied for second on that list with seven apiece might be among those you’d think of first.
The man at the top of the list, however, isn’t exactly a household name, and therefore probably wouldn’t come to mind until you’d exhausted all of the usual suspects.
Pacers head coach Frank Vogel has a league high nine technical fouls this season, with George Karl of the Nuggets and Doc Rivers of the Celtics just below him on that list.
The Indiana Pacers coach went into Friday’s game against the Brooklyn Nets with a league-high nine technicals among coaches in the league.
“Do I really?” Vogel asked, obviously surprised. …
Vogel has paid more than $22,000 for the nine technicals.
“Money well spent,” Vogel said.
Technical fouls are rarely a surprise to NBA head coaches; typically, they know which magic words will get them rung up automatically, and most veterans of the game like Karl and Rivers tend to pick them up strategically instead of out of frustration.
It’s unclear which category most of Vogel’s fall into, but either way, seeing his name at the top of the list for the season is definitely a surprise.
[Scott Agness of Pacers.com also had the story, and posted it on April 11.]
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 0
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 3
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 30
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 28
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 24