Apr 13, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
If you had to name the head coaches who lead the league in technical fouls, the two names tied for second on that list with seven apiece might be among those you’d think of first.
The man at the top of the list, however, isn’t exactly a household name, and therefore probably wouldn’t come to mind until you’d exhausted all of the usual suspects.
Pacers head coach Frank Vogel has a league high nine technical fouls this season, with George Karl of the Nuggets and Doc Rivers of the Celtics just below him on that list.
The Indiana Pacers coach went into Friday’s game against the Brooklyn Nets with a league-high nine technicals among coaches in the league.
“Do I really?” Vogel asked, obviously surprised. …
Vogel has paid more than $22,000 for the nine technicals.
“Money well spent,” Vogel said.
Technical fouls are rarely a surprise to NBA head coaches; typically, they know which magic words will get them rung up automatically, and most veterans of the game like Karl and Rivers tend to pick them up strategically instead of out of frustration.
It’s unclear which category most of Vogel’s fall into, but either way, seeing his name at the top of the list for the season is definitely a surprise.
[Scott Agness of Pacers.com also had the story, and posted it on April 11.]
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 11
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13