Apr 13, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
If you had to name the head coaches who lead the league in technical fouls, the two names tied for second on that list with seven apiece might be among those you’d think of first.
The man at the top of the list, however, isn’t exactly a household name, and therefore probably wouldn’t come to mind until you’d exhausted all of the usual suspects.
Pacers head coach Frank Vogel has a league high nine technical fouls this season, with George Karl of the Nuggets and Doc Rivers of the Celtics just below him on that list.
The Indiana Pacers coach went into Friday’s game against the Brooklyn Nets with a league-high nine technicals among coaches in the league.
“Do I really?” Vogel asked, obviously surprised. …
Vogel has paid more than $22,000 for the nine technicals.
“Money well spent,” Vogel said.
Technical fouls are rarely a surprise to NBA head coaches; typically, they know which magic words will get them rung up automatically, and most veterans of the game like Karl and Rivers tend to pick them up strategically instead of out of frustration.
It’s unclear which category most of Vogel’s fall into, but either way, seeing his name at the top of the list for the season is definitely a surprise.
[Scott Agness of Pacers.com also had the story, and posted it on April 11.]
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 46
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18