Apr 13, 2013, 12:15 AM EDT
The Nets made it more difficult on themselves than it needed to be, but when it was all over in Indiana on Friday, Brooklyn came away with a 117-109 win over the Pacers that clinched home court advantage for them in the first round of the playoffs.
Brooklyn led by as many as 24 points in the third quarter, before seeing it disappear completely after a three-pointer from Lance Stephenson put the Pacers up two with five minutes remaining in the game. The Nets regained their composure, however, and closed the game on an 18-8 run to seal it.
Deron Williams continued his strong play of late, and finished with 33 points and 14 assists. Afterward, he held out hope that his team might be able to climb up a position in the standings before the season is through.
“We could still get the 3 seed,” Williams said, via the Associated Press. “We have to hope for Indiana to lose some games, but it’s still possible. I think we have a good thing going right now.”
The win ensured that the Nets will finish no worse than fourth in the East, which will get them a first round date against either the Hawks or the Bulls. Atlanta currently leads Chicago for the fifth seed by a half game after Friday night’s action.
As for Brooklyn overtaking Indiana for that three seed, it’s a bit of a tall order considering that there are only three games remaining in the regular season, and the Pacers do hold a two-game lead over the Nets for that spot.
The schedule is likely what is giving Brooklyn its glimmer of hope. The Pacers are on the road against the Knicks and the Celtics before finishing at home against the Sixers, while the Nets play at Toronto before hosting the Wizards and then the Pistons to close out the regular season.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25