Apr 13, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
During the fourth quarter of the Bulls’ loss to the Raptors on Friday, Nate Robinson found himself in a jump ball situation against Rudy Gay. Given the fact that Gay is listed at 6’8″ and Robinson is listed at 5’9,” Nate realized that he probably wasn’t going to win the tap, so he came up with an alternate strategy to try to gain possession.
Although what Robinson decided to do was hilarious, it was in violation of at least two NBA rules.
Once the ball was thrown up, Robinson took off to where Gay was planning to tip the ball, and actually intercepted it and fired a jumper before the referee blew the whistle.
The rulebook states that the two players involved in the jump ball may not leave their half of the circle until the ball is tapped, and also makes it clear that one of the eight non-jumpers (or the floor) must touch the ball after it’s tapped before one of the jumpers can catch it.
[via Yahoo!’s Ball Don’t Lie]
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18