Kobe Bryant’s 3:30 a.m. Facebook rant about injury

Apr 13, 2013, 12:12 PM EST

Kobe Bryant AP

The often guarded Kobe Bryant did what we’ve all done on Facebook at points — he ranted. He howled at the moon.

Kobe was understandably frustrated after tearing his Achilles Friday night and in the middle of the night he went to Facebook to vent.

“This is such BS! All the training and sacrifice just flew out the window with one step that I’ve done millions of times! The frustration is unbearable. The anger is rage. Why the hell did this happen ?!? Makes no damn sense. Now I’m supposed to come back from this and be the same player Or better at 35?!? How in the world am I supposed to do that??

“I have NO CLUE. Do I have the consistent will to overcome this thing? Maybe I should break out the rocking chair and reminisce on the career that was. Maybe this is how my book ends. Maybe Father Time has defeated me…Then again maybe not! It’s 3:30am, my foot feels like dead weight, my head is spinning from the pain meds and I’m wide awake. Forgive my Venting but what’s the purpose of social media if I won’t bring it to you Real No Image?? Feels good to vent, let it out. To feel as if THIS is the WORST thing EVER! Because After ALL the venting, a real perspective sets in. There are far greater issues/challenges in the world then a torn Achilles. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, find the silver lining and get to work with the same belief, same drive and same conviction as ever.

“One day, the beginning of a new career journey will commence. Today is NOT that day.

“If you see me in a fight with a bear, prey for the bear”. I’ve always loved that quote. That’s “mamba mentality” we don’t quit, we don’t cower, we don’t run. We endure and conquer.

“I know it’s a long post but I’m Facebook Venting LOL. Maybe now I can actually get some sleep and be excited for surgery tomorrow. First step of a new challenge. Guess I will be Coach Vino the rest of this season. I have faith in my teammates. They will come thru.

“Thank you for all your prayers and support. Much Love Always.”

Mamba Out

There are those who will fire shots at Kobe over this, but to me he was just expressing what we would all feel, what we have all felt when we have worked very, very hard for something only to have fate suddenly turn against us. We get angry, we punch the wall, we vent a little. Then the next day we calm down and move on.

Kobe was simply being human. Nothing wrong with that at all.

And he will be back. If you think Kobe would let his career end on any terms but his own you haven’t been paying attention.

1. bucs24 - Apr 13, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Retire Kobe ur done

2. tampajoey - Apr 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I’m not a 14 year old girl so I don’t play on Facebook.

3. contra1987nes - Apr 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM

the lakers just lost a few hundred million dollars in ticket sales value, jersey sales, marketing, etc. etc. due to this injury. they paid him what? $20 million before taxes this year? what a bargain. and what a loss.

4. ningenito78 - Apr 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM

That’s a ‘hopped up on Dilaudid’ rant.

5. norcalsportsknowledge - Apr 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Bet he try’s every banned drug out there, and the league looks the other way.

6. gildaymonster - Apr 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Finally Kobe shows some humanity. Only took him 35 years. I’ve never liked him but I totally respect him speaking honestly and without restraint. Good for him.

7. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Apr 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Not a Kobe fan, but I have no issue with this. He didn’t say anything particularly stupid and it was cool to that he gathered some perspective halfway through it. I’ve gotten injured a lot and it’s incredibly frustrating to not be able to play pickup sports with friends, so I can’t imagine what he’s feeling considering the obviously MUCH higher stakes.

If anything, I gained a little more respect for him. It was an interesting read and it was cool to see him express himself in detail rather than posting <140 characters on twitter like most guys would do.

8. norcalsportsknowledge - Apr 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Is he having the surgery in Colorado?

• omniusprime - Apr 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Is that where you left your brains norcalsportsmoron? Oh wait you don’t have any brains considering your clueless comment.

9. dangernearing - Apr 13, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Get ‘em Kobe. Im pulling for the comeback eventhough im kinda anti Laker. Just dont wanna see Kobe retire like this.

10. lgwelsh1 - Apr 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Kobe has nothing left to prove, they guy has cemented his legacy as one of the all time greats. If anything like he said in his post, he will take this as a challenge. You know he is only going to re-hab and come back for himself. This will be the greatest challenge of his life to date, as crazy as it sounds I think he is looking forward to it. That’s Kobe.

11. rajbais - Apr 13, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Look, the Lakers are 100% responsible for how they handled Kobe. It’s okay to call it a season when they’re not like the real Lakers, but the national media was stupid to put them in so many nationally televised games and that likely added too much pressure.

ESPN (and TNT, but not as much) should have pulled the plug when they weren’t playing like their true selves or played to the point where anyone should have felt hopeful about them.

The 8th seed team is not worth our time unless the team is young, developing and giving its city hope.

Even though Lakers should have rested Kobe the way that Miami did with Lebron James at times. However ational networks need to realize that not everyone has a chance and expectations need to be squashed because it is too difficult to be sub-.500 and be a top 4 seed. If ESPN pulled the plug the Lakers would have been under a lot less pressure.

It’s okay to write off the season at times because it’s less worse to suffer or see a consequence when one has a chance than when there is no chance. Both the Lakers and TV networks are in need of this lesson, but I fear that one of those two entities won’t learn this at all.

12. denverdude7 - Apr 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Why do I sense a trade to Miami so Bryant can “earn” another ring?

Just sayin’…

13. omniusprime - Apr 14, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I’m glad that Kobe was smart and had his surgery less than 24 hours after his injury, now he can begin his rehab and no one is better at rehab than Kobe. Not surprising that Kobe would be super frustrated at not being able to play out the season. Good to see Kobe contemplate retirement for a few seconds before gritting his teeth and vowing to return.

Maybe Kobe won’t be as good as he used to be after his blown Achilles injury, but then he wouldn’t have been as good if he hadn’t gotten injured either. I know Kobe will focus like a laser on rehabbing his injured leg, bet he comes back sooner than most think. If Beckham could return in 6 months from a blown Achilles then so can Kobe.

Get Well Soonest Kobe!!! Thanks Kobe for all the Great Memories!!!

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches