Apr 11, 2013, 5:47 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like the ancient Romans loved a good conquest….
• If you’re going to sell the NBA playoffs to casual and international fans, LeBron James is a good thing to show off. Which is what the NBA did with this ad.
• When you watch the Thunder vs. Warriors game on TNT tonight, there will be no play-by-play guy calling the action. TNT is trying something new, putting former players Steve Kerr, Chris Webber and Reggie Miller together to watch the game and just talk in kind of a roundtable fashion. We’ll see what kind of chemistry that group has.
• Piston’s coach Lawrence Frank doesn’t like it when fans and the media pile on losing coaches.
“It is all about what your ownership is about,” Frank said. “Everyone knows where your team is at. The key is are you committed? Do you believe in the plan because it might not come in the results? It is about the process. When you lose with young guys and the other guys are not rotation guys in your rotation, when you lose with these guys, you know you are going to lose.”
Yes and no. I think fans (and management) will suffer through losses if they can see the plan in rebuilding and the coach working toward that. It’s when coaches make odd decisions for a rebuilding team — say, limiting Andre Drummond‘s minutes to start and play Jason Maxiell — that we get confused and question judgement.
• Our own D.J. Foster has a great post on the challenges of being a Clippers fan right now — can a season be a success and a failure at the same time?
History and perspective have their place in this, but comparing the Clippers to what they used to be instead of what they could be now feels wrong, and history probably shouldn’t be used to validate the current process as a sustainable one.
• Our friend Rob Mahoney takes a look at the biggest surprises in the NBA season so far. Teams and players such as the Rockets, the Warriors and the resurgent Tim Duncan make the list. What about the Lakers? They make his biggest disappointments list.
• Mike D’Antoni’s old home outside New York is for sale. If you have a cool $7 million laying around.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
In only 24 minutes.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
Deng played his first game in Chicago as a member of a visiting team on Sunday.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Dragic can opt out this summer.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:44 PM EST
He would be back for training camp next season.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
They need a Brandon Jennings replacement.
Knicks’ Lance Thomas travels, double dribbles and steps out of bounds without any call from the officials (VIDEO)
Jan 25, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
Two referees failed to blow the whistle, despite multiple violations occurring in the same sequence.
Jan 25, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Both players successfully tricked the referees into calling a foul.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
He’s just 23 behind Jason Terry for third most on the All-Time list.
Jan 25, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
He hd 26 points and 9 boards. That brace worked out pretty well.
Jan 25, 2015, 1:01 AM EST
Can we just get through the rest of this season without any more major NBA injuries, please?
Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
Brad Stevens reportedly likes Prince, so a buyout may not be in the cards.
Derek Fisher didn’t realize motivating his players would be such a big part of being an NBA head coach
Jan 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Fisher played 18 years, and claims that his motivation always came from within.
After being fined for obscene gesture, Dwyane Wade asks NBA to improve on ways it protects players from fans
Jan 24, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Wade was fined for flipping off some fans who he believed crossed the line.
Jan 24, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
“He had his chance to reach out,” Waiters said.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Howard left the game after just eight minutes and did not return.
Jan 24, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
Aldridge has a tear in his left thumb, and was originally set to be sidelined 6-8 weeks.
Jan 24, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Drama in Dallas?
Jan 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
The inside access here makes this a must-watch.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Before recent trades, players believed the team would go no further than the second round of the playoffs.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
Green was completely amazed, just like the rest of us.
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 9
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17