Apr 11, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like the ancient Romans loved a good conquest….
• If you’re going to sell the NBA playoffs to casual and international fans, LeBron James is a good thing to show off. Which is what the NBA did with this ad.
• When you watch the Thunder vs. Warriors game on TNT tonight, there will be no play-by-play guy calling the action. TNT is trying something new, putting former players Steve Kerr, Chris Webber and Reggie Miller together to watch the game and just talk in kind of a roundtable fashion. We’ll see what kind of chemistry that group has.
• Piston’s coach Lawrence Frank doesn’t like it when fans and the media pile on losing coaches.
“It is all about what your ownership is about,” Frank said. “Everyone knows where your team is at. The key is are you committed? Do you believe in the plan because it might not come in the results? It is about the process. When you lose with young guys and the other guys are not rotation guys in your rotation, when you lose with these guys, you know you are going to lose.”
Yes and no. I think fans (and management) will suffer through losses if they can see the plan in rebuilding and the coach working toward that. It’s when coaches make odd decisions for a rebuilding team — say, limiting Andre Drummond‘s minutes to start and play Jason Maxiell — that we get confused and question judgement.
• Our own D.J. Foster has a great post on the challenges of being a Clippers fan right now — can a season be a success and a failure at the same time?
History and perspective have their place in this, but comparing the Clippers to what they used to be instead of what they could be now feels wrong, and history probably shouldn’t be used to validate the current process as a sustainable one.
• Our friend Rob Mahoney takes a look at the biggest surprises in the NBA season so far. Teams and players such as the Rockets, the Warriors and the resurgent Tim Duncan make the list. What about the Lakers? They make his biggest disappointments list.
• Mike D’Antoni’s old home outside New York is for sale. If you have a cool $7 million laying around.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
It’s not a coincidence you see stars like Chris Paul, LeBron James, Tim Duncan and Russell Westbrook in a highlight package like this.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Hollins’ likes to slow things down.
Aug 28, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
It is going to be a rough year in Denver as they give the keys to the offense to a rookie point guard.
Aug 28, 2015, 6:46 PM EDT
I wouldn’t bet on him making the roster.
Aug 28, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
Will either of them take a discount for security?
Aug 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
Charles Barkley talked about how he never found Dawkins in a bad mood — he was always jovial.
Aug 28, 2015, 2:59 PM EDT
Boozer is making the right play here.
Aug 28, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
It shouldn’t linger into training camp if he doesn’t aggravate it.
Aug 28, 2015, 1:44 PM EDT
What did you expect he would say?
Aug 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Ballmer may just be ahead of the curve on this.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He did his damage in just 25 minutes.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:21 AM EDT
Spoiler: Thomas’ team won.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
The Lakers co-owner isn’t closing the door.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT
Get excited, Magic fans.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
No deal is in place as of now.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:34 AM EDT
He calls DeMarcus Cousins his “brother.”
Aug 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Did Mychal raise a cheater? I don’t think so.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT
Henderson has played in Iraq and Qatar since going undrafted.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Howard last played in the NBA in 2012.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
This is scary for the rest of the league if it’s true.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18