Apr 11, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like the ancient Romans loved a good conquest….
• If you’re going to sell the NBA playoffs to casual and international fans, LeBron James is a good thing to show off. Which is what the NBA did with this ad.
• When you watch the Thunder vs. Warriors game on TNT tonight, there will be no play-by-play guy calling the action. TNT is trying something new, putting former players Steve Kerr, Chris Webber and Reggie Miller together to watch the game and just talk in kind of a roundtable fashion. We’ll see what kind of chemistry that group has.
• Piston’s coach Lawrence Frank doesn’t like it when fans and the media pile on losing coaches.
“It is all about what your ownership is about,” Frank said. “Everyone knows where your team is at. The key is are you committed? Do you believe in the plan because it might not come in the results? It is about the process. When you lose with young guys and the other guys are not rotation guys in your rotation, when you lose with these guys, you know you are going to lose.”
Yes and no. I think fans (and management) will suffer through losses if they can see the plan in rebuilding and the coach working toward that. It’s when coaches make odd decisions for a rebuilding team — say, limiting Andre Drummond‘s minutes to start and play Jason Maxiell — that we get confused and question judgement.
• Our own D.J. Foster has a great post on the challenges of being a Clippers fan right now — can a season be a success and a failure at the same time?
History and perspective have their place in this, but comparing the Clippers to what they used to be instead of what they could be now feels wrong, and history probably shouldn’t be used to validate the current process as a sustainable one.
• Our friend Rob Mahoney takes a look at the biggest surprises in the NBA season so far. Teams and players such as the Rockets, the Warriors and the resurgent Tim Duncan make the list. What about the Lakers? They make his biggest disappointments list.
• Mike D’Antoni’s old home outside New York is for sale. If you have a cool $7 million laying around.
Jul 30, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Will he want it?
Jul 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
Timberwolves apparently weren’t just going to trade Love for whatever they could get
Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Suspending Patriots quarterback for a quarter of the season was bare minimum for Mavericks owner
Jul 30, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
Jerry Colangelo said attendance was mandatory to be considered for 2016 Olympic team
Jul 30, 2015, 11:22 AM EDT
NBA commissioner confident Africa will get a preseason game
Jul 30, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT
Hawks wing says his leg and ankle feel better
Jul 30, 2015, 9:28 AM EDT
Philadelphia drafted Holmes in second round
Jul 30, 2015, 8:33 AM EDT
Barnes is a perfect fit in for the “grit and grind” style of the Grizzlies.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Portland not making a call means they knew Aldridge was gone and it was time to rebuild.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT
The Rockets have nice depth up front.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
The Pelicans were one of the slowest paced teams in the NBA last season, that’s about to change.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
“I think someone who would watch this would think there is something wrong with me and something wrong with my friends.” — Chris Kaman
Jul 29, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT
Andrew Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns are about to be finishing alley-oops from the best lob passer in the game.
Jul 29, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Manu Ginobili is a stud.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Kerr says Luke Walton is a future head coach in the NBA.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT
Toronto has shifted the roster to be more defensive, and be able to go smaller.
Jul 29, 2015, 5:21 PM EDT
Jimmy Kimmell is the best part.
Jul 29, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Rex Kalamian and Andy Greer also join Dwane Casey’s staff
Jul 29, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Enter Andrei Kirilenko to save the day?
Jul 29, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Will anyone claim him?
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 45
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11