Apr 11, 2013, 5:47 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like the ancient Romans loved a good conquest….
• If you’re going to sell the NBA playoffs to casual and international fans, LeBron James is a good thing to show off. Which is what the NBA did with this ad.
• When you watch the Thunder vs. Warriors game on TNT tonight, there will be no play-by-play guy calling the action. TNT is trying something new, putting former players Steve Kerr, Chris Webber and Reggie Miller together to watch the game and just talk in kind of a roundtable fashion. We’ll see what kind of chemistry that group has.
• Piston’s coach Lawrence Frank doesn’t like it when fans and the media pile on losing coaches.
“It is all about what your ownership is about,” Frank said. “Everyone knows where your team is at. The key is are you committed? Do you believe in the plan because it might not come in the results? It is about the process. When you lose with young guys and the other guys are not rotation guys in your rotation, when you lose with these guys, you know you are going to lose.”
Yes and no. I think fans (and management) will suffer through losses if they can see the plan in rebuilding and the coach working toward that. It’s when coaches make odd decisions for a rebuilding team — say, limiting Andre Drummond‘s minutes to start and play Jason Maxiell — that we get confused and question judgement.
• Our own D.J. Foster has a great post on the challenges of being a Clippers fan right now — can a season be a success and a failure at the same time?
History and perspective have their place in this, but comparing the Clippers to what they used to be instead of what they could be now feels wrong, and history probably shouldn’t be used to validate the current process as a sustainable one.
• Our friend Rob Mahoney takes a look at the biggest surprises in the NBA season so far. Teams and players such as the Rockets, the Warriors and the resurgent Tim Duncan make the list. What about the Lakers? They make his biggest disappointments list.
• Mike D’Antoni’s old home outside New York is for sale. If you have a cool $7 million laying around.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:55 AM EST
LeBron looked at Stephen Curry across the way and decided to make his own MVP statement.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:59 PM EST
Fancy footwork on display.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
Rose will undergo surgery Friday morning.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
Stoudemire has interest in a reunion.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
Yes it’s a little late in coming, but it’s worth remembering what a quality player he was.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:21 PM EST
“30 minutes with Marv Albert is enough.”
Feb 26, 2015, 6:31 PM EST
Doc Rivers the GM is doing Doc Rivers the coach wrong.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:45 PM EST
He is having all or part of the meniscus removed, which makes for a faster recovery.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
While in theory he could return for a few games, in practice that’s not going to happen.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:14 PM EST
Good luck prying Cousins from Sacramento
Feb 26, 2015, 3:27 PM EST
He is weeks away from playing in a game.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:58 PM EST
3. An unfair standard
Feb 26, 2015, 1:11 PM EST
This will be Beasley’s third stint with Miami
Feb 26, 2015, 12:29 PM EST
Reports emerging Rondo ‘unlikely’ to re-sign with Dallas
Feb 26, 2015, 11:12 AM EST
It’s too early to say with Rose what hs legacy will be.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:27 AM EST
Charles Barkley would approve
Feb 26, 2015, 9:44 AM EST
Kings center wasn’t the only one kicking up a storm
Feb 26, 2015, 9:08 AM EST
Nuggets center just handed ball to Markieff Morris
Feb 26, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
Nothing is official, but this isn’t good.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 23
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 38
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28