Apr 11, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Should NBA stars be rested at the end of the season?
It’s been a topic this year, in part because the Heat have been doing it and some fans will look for any excuse to rip the Heat. In part it’s because David Stern fined the San Antonio Spurs $250,000 earlier in the season for doing it (on national television and without warning). And in part because the NBA is a star-driven league, if the stars aren’t playing will some fans not buy tickets?
Paul Pierce & KG are traveling with the Celtics to Miami but neither will play against the Heat due to sore left ankles. Both are day-to-day—
Boston Celtics (@celtics) April 11, 2013
Sore left ankles? I’m sure they are sore, but this is really code for “we don’t want a fine from Stern so we’ve announced it early and given you a medical reason.” If this game mattered they would both be out there.
I’m sure at least a couple of the Heat’s big three will have the night off as well.
I don’t have a problem with this — coaches are doing what is best for their teams in the playoffs, getting healthy and rested. If you want to make the marketing argument — the NBA sells it’s stars, that’s what people pay to see — I’d say that the NBA’s biggest and best marketing and that’s where I want the players healthy and rested. That’s best for NBA marketing.
And I see no way to police this, like it or not. Coaches will just go with the injury call, like the Celtics have.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 72
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32