J.R. Smith loses $48 K lawsuit over unpaid jewelry bill

Apr 11, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT

New York Knicks' Smith celebrates scoring past Washington Wizards during their NBA basketball game in Manhattan Reuters

What is it with NBA players not paying for their chains?

Seriously, add this to the rookie seminar for the guys coming in the league — pay your bills.

A day after DeJuan Blair got busted for not paying his bill, a judge ruled in favor of a jewelry store in Southern California that had sued the Knicks J.R. Smith over an unpaid $48,000 jewelry bill. Here are some details from TMZ (hat tip to SLAM).

A jewelry company called Lemmerman’s sued Smith, claiming he ordered a bunch of bling back in 2010 — including a diamond chain, two Black Jesus pendants and some earrings — totaling $25,500 … but never paid….

Lemmerman’s sued for $48,101 — which includes the jewelry bill plus interest and attorney’s fees — but Smith never responded to the suit … so a judge ruled in Lemmerman’s favor.

Whether it’s an agent or your mom, players need one person around them they can trust to make sure bills get paid, appointments kept and the rest of those kinds of things. Yes, I know, you and I do that for ourselves everyday. But frankly, if most of us could afford a personal assistant to deal with life’s more tedious stuff, we would do it in a heartbeat. However they do it, players just need to stay on top of this because in Smith’s case it looks like he thought he could just ignore the problem and it would go away. But lawsuits don’t tend to do that.

1. Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

JR somehow blew $40M over the years. He was damn near broke when he came back to the tri-state and signed with the Knicks. Makes me wonder if he will exercise his option after this season and try to get more money elsewhere. The most the Knicks will be able to offer him is the MLE. He will probably think he’s worth upwards of $8M per, despite all his claims to want to remain home for less. He takes the train down from Uptown to home games, but I don’t think it’s because he’s being a regular guy (although he genuinely is), I just know he cannot afford to pay a driver like he did in Denver when he was making more money. I really believe he stiffed that bill because his money was low. That’s my son and I love him (pause), but I hate the way he just blew through all that money he’s made since 2005.

• fanofevilempire - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I don’t think he is so broke he can’t pay for a cab.
      The fare is $2.50 a cab is what $12.00

2. eboneseagles - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Idk I mean there’s not that many great shooting guards in this league, so I could see him getting paid as a big piece somewhere. I don’t think he’s consistent enough to do what Harden did (go from 6th man to best player on a new team) but a team might go that far if they’re desperate. The knicks are gonna need to lock him up though, he’s a big part of this teams success.

3. 4thquartermagic - Apr 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Dude is a head case who was given everything his entire life. Look it up, he was a privileged kid growing up.

Bottom line is he listens to no one and thinks he’s untouchable (even after causing a car crash that killed his friend). If something like that doesn’t give you perspective, then nothing will.

He’ll be broke and out of the league in 5 years.

4. badintent - Apr 11, 2013 at 5:46 PM

He’ll be in China , playing with Marbury or in debtor’s prison. maybe a Swapmeet booth with AI.

5. 00maltliquor - Apr 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM

ANOTHER one?! 1st DeJaun now J.R.? What’s going on here?

6. fanofevilempire - Apr 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM

they sell chains for $ 5.00 on 125th street.

• badintent - Apr 12, 2013 at 7:44 PM

and 007 switchblades.I lost it in Singapore to airport security, they wanted to play with it.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches