Apr 11, 2013, 3:52 PM EST
He’s no John Calipari, but is Dirk Nowitzki enough of a recruiter — is the chance to play with him enough of a draw — that elite free agents will come to Dallas to play and win with him?
Mark Cuban is counting on it.
This summer — and likely next summer — Dallas is going to be courting free agents and Cuban told the Dallas Morning News Nowitzki will be part of the effort.
“Yeah, obviously,” Cuban said. “He hasn’t been shy to make calls in the past. He just hasn’t been in the country. He’s happy to text and make calls. He just hasn’t been here. Dirk will do anything. He’s a team player from top to bottom.”
What is the first factor in attracting a free agent? Money. It’s also the second and third most important things. Dallas will have cap space to offer a max deal if they find a player they like, so that is not a problem.
After money come the other issues such as weather, state taxes, if the team/city have a good reputation among players, roster makeup and playing time, and is the team a contender. What order those go in and how much they weigh depends on the player and the stage of his career.
It’s on those issues that having a player call and do some recruiting helps. Cuban had a great line about that.
So is Nowitzki a persuasive sort of guy?
“He got somebody much hotter than him to marry him,” Cuban quipped.
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 16
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55