Apr 11, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
He’s no John Calipari, but is Dirk Nowitzki enough of a recruiter — is the chance to play with him enough of a draw — that elite free agents will come to Dallas to play and win with him?
Mark Cuban is counting on it.
This summer — and likely next summer — Dallas is going to be courting free agents and Cuban told the Dallas Morning News Nowitzki will be part of the effort.
“Yeah, obviously,” Cuban said. “He hasn’t been shy to make calls in the past. He just hasn’t been in the country. He’s happy to text and make calls. He just hasn’t been here. Dirk will do anything. He’s a team player from top to bottom.”
What is the first factor in attracting a free agent? Money. It’s also the second and third most important things. Dallas will have cap space to offer a max deal if they find a player they like, so that is not a problem.
After money come the other issues such as weather, state taxes, if the team/city have a good reputation among players, roster makeup and playing time, and is the team a contender. What order those go in and how much they weigh depends on the player and the stage of his career.
It’s on those issues that having a player call and do some recruiting helps. Cuban had a great line about that.
So is Nowitzki a persuasive sort of guy?
“He got somebody much hotter than him to marry him,” Cuban quipped.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 4
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 15
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 23
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29