Apr 11, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
He’s no John Calipari, but is Dirk Nowitzki enough of a recruiter — is the chance to play with him enough of a draw — that elite free agents will come to Dallas to play and win with him?
Mark Cuban is counting on it.
This summer — and likely next summer — Dallas is going to be courting free agents and Cuban told the Dallas Morning News Nowitzki will be part of the effort.
“Yeah, obviously,” Cuban said. “He hasn’t been shy to make calls in the past. He just hasn’t been in the country. He’s happy to text and make calls. He just hasn’t been here. Dirk will do anything. He’s a team player from top to bottom.”
What is the first factor in attracting a free agent? Money. It’s also the second and third most important things. Dallas will have cap space to offer a max deal if they find a player they like, so that is not a problem.
After money come the other issues such as weather, state taxes, if the team/city have a good reputation among players, roster makeup and playing time, and is the team a contender. What order those go in and how much they weigh depends on the player and the stage of his career.
It’s on those issues that having a player call and do some recruiting helps. Cuban had a great line about that.
So is Nowitzki a persuasive sort of guy?
“He got somebody much hotter than him to marry him,” Cuban quipped.
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 2
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 2
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 29
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 56
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 58
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 18
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 16
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40