Apr 11, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
New Orleans fans were holding their breath near the end of the fourth quarter Wednesday night.
With 5:45 left in the game Anthony Davis — the former No. 1 overall pick and promising rookie — tried to draw a charging foul as Marcus Thornton drove the lane. The resulting collision had Thornton falling on and injuring Davis’ left knee. Davis was in a lot of pain and needed help off the court.
But apparently some ice and rest helped a lot and things do not appear to be serious, reports Jason Reid at the Times-Picayune.
“I think he’s OK, but I don’t want to jump the gun,” Hornets Coach Monty Williams said. “I didn’t see the play yet, but he said Marcus landed on his knee. He said he’s a little sore.”
Davis, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft, is expected to undergo an MRI test on Thursday to determine if he has any structural damage. He was not made available to the media after the game. On his way to the team bus, however, Davis was limping noticeably.
“I’m just glad it wasn’t a buckle or a ligament or anything like that,” Williams said.
Officially this is listed as a sprain right now. The MRI will determine that for sure, but this sounds like the kind of thing that could keep Davis out a few games — which would be the rest of the season at this point — but would not be a long-term injury.
Which is good. Hornets’ fans already went through that with Eric Gordon and didn’t really enjoy the experience.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 0
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 7
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 48
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29