Apr 10, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
And the hits keep coming of guys declaring for the draft.
Michael Carter-Williams, the 6’5” point guard from Syracuse, is declaring for the NBA Draft after helping lead the Orangemen to the Final Four. This was not a surprise, he was expected to come out and he’s expected to go in the lottery.
For teams that like big point guards, this needs to be their guy. He shows flashes where he can score from anywhere, although he tends to be inefficient at it (29.2 percent from three). He has a good first step and can get in the lane. Also, his length and quickness make him a good defender.
As Rob Dauster of CollegeBasketballTalk told PBT, the questions about him center around his decision making — when to facilitate, when to shoot. For a couple NCAA Tournament games he seemed to help his cause but then in the Final Four he regressed (1-of-6 shooting with 2 assists and 5 turnovers). He kept Trey Burke relatively in check (1-of-8 shooting) but Carter-Williams didn’t impress. It was the same through the season, stretches where he looked like a top flight point guard followed by stretches of mediocrity. Which guy are teams drafting?
He’s going to likely be drafted to a team where he will get a lot of opportunities. The more spaced out game of the NBA may be a better fit for a guy with Carter-Williams quick first step, but it will come down to him making better decisions. And developing a consistent jump shot.
Still, I think this was the right move — if you’re a lottery pick take the money (and get better development training) in the NBA.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28