Apr 10, 2013, 5:14 PM EST
And the hits keep coming of guys declaring for the draft.
Michael Carter-Williams, the 6’5” point guard from Syracuse, is declaring for the NBA Draft after helping lead the Orangemen to the Final Four. This was not a surprise, he was expected to come out and he’s expected to go in the lottery.
For teams that like big point guards, this needs to be their guy. He shows flashes where he can score from anywhere, although he tends to be inefficient at it (29.2 percent from three). He has a good first step and can get in the lane. Also, his length and quickness make him a good defender.
As Rob Dauster of CollegeBasketballTalk told PBT, the questions about him center around his decision making — when to facilitate, when to shoot. For a couple NCAA Tournament games he seemed to help his cause but then in the Final Four he regressed (1-of-6 shooting with 2 assists and 5 turnovers). He kept Trey Burke relatively in check (1-of-8 shooting) but Carter-Williams didn’t impress. It was the same through the season, stretches where he looked like a top flight point guard followed by stretches of mediocrity. Which guy are teams drafting?
He’s going to likely be drafted to a team where he will get a lot of opportunities. The more spaced out game of the NBA may be a better fit for a guy with Carter-Williams quick first step, but it will come down to him making better decisions. And developing a consistent jump shot.
Still, I think this was the right move — if you’re a lottery pick take the money (and get better development training) in the NBA.
- Carmelo Anthony after latest home loss to Grizzlies: ‘I think it’s in our heads’ 0
- Brook Lopez suffers broken foot, out for the season 23
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 10
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 6
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 16
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (70)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)