Apr 10, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
This may be the most ridiculous ending to a game this season.
Not what the Rockets did — with seven seconds left in a 98-98 game they went to the old “isolate your best player out high” and James Harden dribbled it out then pulled up for a three. Which was short and bounced high. It looked like overtime.
Then Jermaine O’Neal inexplicably knocked the bounce off the rim. It was goaltending, on a shot that very likely bounces out anyway, but the referees review it, make the right call and the Rockets win.
Combine that with the Jazz loss and the Rockets lock up a playoff spot for the first time since 2009. Making the dance for a team that shook things up and got Harden just as the season started is a great first step. Enjoy the champagne and celebrate a little, Houston.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3