Apr 10, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
This may be the most ridiculous ending to a game this season.
Not what the Rockets did — with seven seconds left in a 98-98 game they went to the old “isolate your best player out high” and James Harden dribbled it out then pulled up for a three. Which was short and bounced high. It looked like overtime.
Then Jermaine O’Neal inexplicably knocked the bounce off the rim. It was goaltending, on a shot that very likely bounces out anyway, but the referees review it, make the right call and the Rockets win.
Combine that with the Jazz loss and the Rockets lock up a playoff spot for the first time since 2009. Making the dance for a team that shook things up and got Harden just as the season started is a great first step. Enjoy the champagne and celebrate a little, Houston.
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7
- PBT Extra: Wizards’ backcourt owning matchup with Toronto 0