Apr 10, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
This may be the most ridiculous ending to a game this season.
Not what the Rockets did — with seven seconds left in a 98-98 game they went to the old “isolate your best player out high” and James Harden dribbled it out then pulled up for a three. Which was short and bounced high. It looked like overtime.
Then Jermaine O’Neal inexplicably knocked the bounce off the rim. It was goaltending, on a shot that very likely bounces out anyway, but the referees review it, make the right call and the Rockets win.
Combine that with the Jazz loss and the Rockets lock up a playoff spot for the first time since 2009. Making the dance for a team that shook things up and got Harden just as the season started is a great first step. Enjoy the champagne and celebrate a little, Houston.
- Harden’s 17 fourth quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 0
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 44
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 25
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 43