Apr 10, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
This may be the most ridiculous ending to a game this season.
Not what the Rockets did — with seven seconds left in a 98-98 game they went to the old “isolate your best player out high” and James Harden dribbled it out then pulled up for a three. Which was short and bounced high. It looked like overtime.
Then Jermaine O’Neal inexplicably knocked the bounce off the rim. It was goaltending, on a shot that very likely bounces out anyway, but the referees review it, make the right call and the Rockets win.
Combine that with the Jazz loss and the Rockets lock up a playoff spot for the first time since 2009. Making the dance for a team that shook things up and got Harden just as the season started is a great first step. Enjoy the champagne and celebrate a little, Houston.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 0
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 3
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27