Apr 10, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
This is another case where the decision shouldn’t be a surprise to even the most diehard fan in Bloomington.
Indiana’s star center Cody Zeller will declare for the NBA draft at a press conference Wednesday afternoon, reports Bob Kravitz of the Indy Star.
DraftExpress currently has Zeller going No. 6 in the upcoming draft. He joins fellow Hoosier Victor Oladipo in this draft class.
He’s got legit NBA center size at 7’0”, 240 pounds, but he also moves well and can get out in transition. He will provide offense off the bench as an NBA rookie — he has great skill and touch around the basket. Big men who can put up points are always at a premium in the NBA.
But there are questions, and we saw them all raised in the NCAA Tournament. There are doubts about whether he can handle the physicality of the NBA and still be effective. Against longer, athletic front line of Syracuse he did struggle as they got physical with him (he’s not going to get those calls as an NBA rookie, either) and it reinforced questions about him.
Don’t be shocked if he slides down the draft a little, but still not likely out of the top 10. And he could get that strength and in a couple years be a solid NBA rotation player with a long career.
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 12
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 32
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 22
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 64