Apr 10, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
This is another case where the decision shouldn’t be a surprise to even the most diehard fan in Bloomington.
Indiana’s star center Cody Zeller will declare for the NBA draft at a press conference Wednesday afternoon, reports Bob Kravitz of the Indy Star.
DraftExpress currently has Zeller going No. 6 in the upcoming draft. He joins fellow Hoosier Victor Oladipo in this draft class.
He’s got legit NBA center size at 7’0”, 240 pounds, but he also moves well and can get out in transition. He will provide offense off the bench as an NBA rookie — he has great skill and touch around the basket. Big men who can put up points are always at a premium in the NBA.
But there are questions, and we saw them all raised in the NCAA Tournament. There are doubts about whether he can handle the physicality of the NBA and still be effective. Against longer, athletic front line of Syracuse he did struggle as they got physical with him (he’s not going to get those calls as an NBA rookie, either) and it reinforced questions about him.
Don’t be shocked if he slides down the draft a little, but still not likely out of the top 10. And he could get that strength and in a couple years be a solid NBA rotation player with a long career.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 14
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17