Metta World Peace on why he came back: “I’m too sexy for my cat”

Apr 10, 2013, 8:42 AM EDT

“I’m too sexy for my cat. My cat. I’m just too sexy for my cat. If I wasn’t as sexy for my cat, I probably wouldn’t have came back. I’m so sexy, I came back.”

That is vintage Metta World Peace. Playing off some Right Said Fred.

Interviewing him can be a complete non sequitur. Thing is he’s a really good-hearted guy and I wish every player in the NBA enjoyed the game and being in the league as much as he does. But he is his own cat. And he’s too sexy for it.

This interview was broadcast on television back in Los Angeles after the Lakers win over the Hornets that put them back in the playoffs. MWP returned in that game from knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus — just 12 days after the surgery. He came off the bench for 15 minutes and had four points, but was a team best +12. He’s had the team’s best +/- numbers all season (they are better on both ends of the floor when he is on the court).

Hat tip to The Point Forward for the video.

1. cakemixa - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM

His shtick is kind of old.

• dangernearing - Apr 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM

STFU

2. saint1997 - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Normally when Metta says crazy stuff he still has a discernible point…MWP I’m sorry man I don’t even get where you’re going with that

3. omniusprime - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Vintage MWP, obviously too sexy for that deadbeat cakemixa. MWP is a real warrior coming back a mere 12 days after surgery, so unlike that total crybaby Derrick Rose who is too chicken to come back to play for his team when they really need him. Eat your hearts out Chicago fans. I just hope MWP doesn’t reinsure the knee coming back so quickly. Now to see if Ancient Trash Nash will be shamed into coming back next game.

Go MWP!!!

• dangernearing - Apr 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM

You know when ppl dont understand something they have something to say about it or they try and label it. Same kinda deal we have here.

• scalfor3 - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Any Bulls fans that are mad at Rose are idiots. The guy is a 24 year old MVP level superstar. Why rush back? Make sure the knee is completely better so he can dominate the league the next 10 years.

4. fanofthegame79 - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I agree with you saint1997 – he’s an odd guy, and I understand that. But this quote was out of left field. No, it wasn’t even in the same ball park.

• dangernearing - Apr 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM

^^^ Dumb guy trying to sound philosophical and he failed lol

5. asimonetti88 - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM

MWP is that dude.

6. fnc111 - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Genuinely good guy? The dude is sick and evil and most likely going to be in prison when his career ends. Did you not see what he did to James Harden last year?

• asimonetti88 - Apr 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM

It was an accident. Just ask MWP!

7. sheiladsproductions - Apr 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM

He’s to sexy for his brain.

8. Distinguished Male - Apr 10, 2013 at 1:19 PM

And people wonder why so often athletes give canned, expected responses. You stray from that, as MWP did here, and people WTF all over the place.

Dude probably was asked this question for the umpteenth time, was tired of responding, “Cuz I felt like I could” and had some fun with the question.

Y’all taking this much too seriously. It’s in good fun. MWP seems like a guy I would want to hang out with, because you never know what’s gonna happen next. And for all those saying he’s dirt and gonna go to jail, it’s pretty obvious that the dude has really mellowed out and changed over the years.

And c’mon, Right Said Fred. Enough Said.

• dangernearing - Apr 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Exactly

9. badintent - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:02 AM

That paper cup that hit Metta in the head in the “Palace Riot” caused severe brain damamge. He just can’t help himself. Strap him to a North Korea missile or Kim’s wife. Either way, he ‘s toast.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview