Kobe Bryant tells Pau Gasol how to play without him

Apr 10, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT

Pau Gasol, Kobe Bryant

The Lakers have struggled to get the most from Pau Gasol this season, so, as is often the case when the Lakers struggle, Kobe Bryant took matters into his own hands. Case in point, Kobe’s conversation with Gasol during last night’s game against the Hornets. Via Melissa Rohlin of the Los Angeles Times:

“I basically told him, dude, especially when I’m not in the game, you just gotta go to the block and not move,” Bryant recalled. “When I’m out there, I can slow the game down, call plays off, and just give it to him — but if I’m not, then listen, you just gotta go to the block and not move. Just stand there.”

Gasol reluctantly followed Bryant’s advice.

“That’s not my personality,” Gasol said. “I like my team and my coaching staff to want me to be there instead of positioning myself there. But hey, it is what it is.”

This story jives with everything we know about Kobe: He’s often pushy, and he’s usually right.

In the seven minutes he played without Kobe, Gasol shot 2-for-2, making both baskets in post-up situations.

1. ebrownwareagle - Apr 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM

In Bean we Trust!

2. losangelesfan - Apr 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Do what Kobe say

3. valeb2012 - Apr 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I think this post misses an important point. Kobe isn’t just telling Pau to park his butt. He’s telling him to demand the ball, be aggressive, and force himself down low and score close to the basket. What Pau did to Anthony Davis last night was clinical. Pau dominated Davis on the block and Davis was noticeably irritated. Pau is so skilled on the block. It’s a shame not to use him there.

4. eventhorizon04 - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM

So Kobe is the reason why the Lakers finally tried the strategy of, “Give Pau Gasol the ball in the low post.”

Amazingly, having Gasol (arguably one of the most skilled players in the NBA at operating in the lowpost) spend most of his time working in the low post led to a great performance by him.

And it only took the Lakers 78 games to try that.

The NBA: Where Amazing Happens.

5. onbucky96 - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Coach Kobe! Can’t wait for this tool to retire.

6. elcapitanfiscal - Apr 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM

At least SOMEONE is trying to do some coaching for that team..

Im looking at you Mike

7. kb2408 - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM

If Pau had the heart that KG has, he would be right up there with Tim Duncan as the greatest pf ever. Offensively, few seven footers have ever possessed his skills.

8. brotherlove2012 - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:44 PM

The Lakers need a coach badly. This is the kind of thing a coach should say to a player, it shouldn’t be something Kobe has to say to Pau.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview