Evan Turner still enigma for 76ers. Where does he fit in?

Apr 10, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT

Evan Turner AP

There are games you watch Evan Turner play and you can see why he went No. 2 in the draft — he dropped 24 and 11 on Atlanta last Friday and looked like the kind of building block Philadelphia hoped he would be when they took him ahead of Derrick Favors, DeMarcus Cousins and Paul George among others.

But he turns around and has a game like Tuesday against Brooklyn — 11 points on 3-of-10 shooting without a great impact on the game — and you wonder where he fits. Which is fine for a player new to the league, but at age 24 at the end of his third season, the “give him time” argument as worn thin.

Doug Collins hasn’t figured him out. Now the Sixers head into a summer likely to see serious changes — does Collins return? What about Andrew Bynum? — and among the questions is what to do with Turner? Trade him, or keep him and hope the next coach can find a spot he feels comfortable?

Part of the problem is perception — if Turner were drafted 10th in what was a generally down draft we might not flinch at these struggles, but when you go No. 2 the expectations are higher. Evans admitted as much to Dei Lynam of CSNPhilly.com.

“I look over the past few years and say I went No. 2 in the draft and then all my problems started coming. It is not a problem. I have a long career ahead of me, hopefully, and hopefully things get better. And even though it has been a down year for our organization, I try to find positives. It is so easy to find negativity, but as a player I have grown every year.”

His three point shooting has gotten better this season, up to 36.9 percent, but Evans has admitted it happened without him working much on the shot. It just kind of occurred. Turner seems himself as a guy trying to find his role on the team, not as a franchise guy.

“I feel like what I am asked to do and what I am allowed to do lead to me getting the bulk of the blame in certain situations,” Turner suggested. “It goes along with the status of being the No. 2 overall pick – the No. 2 pick is supposed to be the franchise tag, but here it is a different situation because I am a role player.”

The Sixers are not going to offer Turner a contract extension this summer, that you can be sure about.

But what they do with him — trade him, keep him for another season and let the market decide is price as a restricted free agent — remains a big question. On that has to be answered in the context of a lot of other big picture questions in Philadelphia.

1. tyler200829 - Apr 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Learn grammar. Painfully hard to read

2. spthegr8 - Apr 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Maybe he doesn’t????

3. alabamacowboy - Apr 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM

This is the most poorly written article I have ever read on this site. First of all the headline makes zero sense. Secondly, who is Evans??? The article is about Evan Turner, but you called him Evans 3 times as if that were his last name. Not to mention multiple grammar errors and non complete sentences. Just an absolute horrible piece of writing. How did this get past the editor’s desk? Good grief PBT it’s playoff time, you should be rounding into shape by now. Do better.

• moseskkim - Apr 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM

lol at evans hahahha

• ryanrockzzz - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM

The grammar is bad, but it’s a blog site. I’m not going to let it bend me out of shape. You can handle that.

4. patfic15 - Apr 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Stop finishing stories on your phone, man. I don’t know how much they pay you guys but it can’t be much. Has NBC outsourced their NBA blogs, etc? I would understand the crap writing if that were the case.

5. stikolaboloni - Apr 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Did you type this with your toes??

6. stikolaboloni - Apr 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Did you type this with your toes??

7. amoose3 - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM

You mentioned being impatient with him because he was a #2 pick but they kid basically took all 4 years to develop into a good college player and his first two seasons he wasnt a regular starter. Evan is the type of guy, like it or not, who considers this his first season in the NBA because he was actually starting. Again he doesnt have the consistency down, but he can probably be a solid third option on a championship team. Philly has a bright future with Jrue-Evan-Thad, if only they had a superstar big man…

8. mungman69 - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:56 AM

I don’t think that he has been coached right. Isn’t it the coaches job to put players in the right places?

9. saint1997 - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Small digression, how much fun would it be to see a team made from the 2010 draft class? I’d watch Wall, George, Turner, Favors and Cousins any day of the week man

10. ryanrockzzz - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Part of the problems for Turner stem from Doug Collins. Collins never like him much, and honestly hasn’t coached him in an effective way. Also, he’s playing on a team with Jrue, where both of them need the ball in their hands. A trade at this poing would benefit all involved.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches