Apr 9, 2013, 1:41 PM EST
The Golden State Warriors average just shy of 20 three pointers a game (which is middle of the pack in the NBA).
That is a record setting backcourt the AP reports:
The pair have combined to make 444 3-pointers, surpassing the 435 Orlando’s Dennis Scott and Nick Anderson hit in the 1995-96 season for the most by any duo in league history.
That’s impressive and should be acknowledged.
Golden State has a great backcourt for a jump shooting team. However, they have some long-term questions they need to answer about that pairing. With two pure shooters out at the arc the Warriors rely on the jumper and not breaking down defenses off the dribble, getting points closer to the basket. Jump shooting teams can beat anybody on a hot night but lose to anyone on a cold one, and it’s a tough way to win in the playoffs.
But the offense isn’t the bigger issue, it’s the other end of the floor where Curry and Thompson combine to form an undersized and not very good defensive combo.
Right now the Warriors and their fans should celebrate what they have — a playoff bound team with a backcourt pairing that is a fun one to watch play. There are some bigger question questions to consider — how far can you really go with both Thompson and Curry — but those should not get in the way of the fun now. Nor is it something that must be decided this summer. Just eventually.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 0
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20