Apr 9, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
There will be guys declaring for the NBA draft in the next few weeks where we will shake our head and suggest the guy may want to keep working on his degree.
But if you are an NBA lottery pick, in my mind you need to come out. Get the guaranteed payday and start your career sooner rather than taking a year or two off your earning potential.
That’s why I think Indiana’s Victor Oladipo is making the right call — the 6’5 swingman will announce Tuesday he is headed to the draft, reports Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com.
DraftExpress has him going No. 5 in the draft.
Oladipo made a big leap this season, he had been an energy and defense guy but his scoring became a lot more efficient (he shot 44.1 percent from three). Nobody ever questioned his athleticism — he can leap out of the building — but he tended to turn the ball over and miss shots.
In Indiana’s final game of the season against Syracuse you saw what he could be at the NBA level — he did a good job defensively on Michael Carter-Williams (when he guarded him) and he hit 5-of-6 shots finishing with 16 points. In the NBA he’s going to be a third or fourth option — not a guy who can create shots but a guy who can take advantage of the looks he does get, plus he can finish in transition.
In this draft, that is a top five pick.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31