Apr 9, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
“If we get into the playoffs, there’s no doubt in my mind and in any of our minds, that we can win a championship. It would be stupid of me to sit here and say to you [media] guys that if we make it to the playoffs, we’ll be out in the first round. I have confidence in our team.”
—Dwight Howard, speaking to reporters Tuesday, as relayed by Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times.
And he’s right… in his second sentence. He has to say that, and you want your players to believe that. But we all know the truth. First, the Lakers have an uphill climb to get the eight seed. Then if they do and get Oklahoma City, the athletes on that team would run the Lakers right out of the building. Five games.
Lakers fans think their best hope is San Antonio, the current No. 1 seed. And that is true in this sense — if Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are not healthy and back for the first round the Lakers would have a shot. But if those to are back the Lakers are in trouble. Did you watch how Chris Paul and the Clippers ripped apart the Lakers defense on Sunday? The Spurs would do the same thing, but rather than just one guy doing it they use a team that has fantastic ball movement and movement off the ball. The Lakers defense isn’t good enough — and that’s not on Howard, he can only cover up so many mistakes made by others.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6