Apr 9, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
“If we get into the playoffs, there’s no doubt in my mind and in any of our minds, that we can win a championship. It would be stupid of me to sit here and say to you [media] guys that if we make it to the playoffs, we’ll be out in the first round. I have confidence in our team.”
—Dwight Howard, speaking to reporters Tuesday, as relayed by Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times.
And he’s right… in his second sentence. He has to say that, and you want your players to believe that. But we all know the truth. First, the Lakers have an uphill climb to get the eight seed. Then if they do and get Oklahoma City, the athletes on that team would run the Lakers right out of the building. Five games.
Lakers fans think their best hope is San Antonio, the current No. 1 seed. And that is true in this sense — if Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are not healthy and back for the first round the Lakers would have a shot. But if those to are back the Lakers are in trouble. Did you watch how Chris Paul and the Clippers ripped apart the Lakers defense on Sunday? The Spurs would do the same thing, but rather than just one guy doing it they use a team that has fantastic ball movement and movement off the ball. The Lakers defense isn’t good enough — and that’s not on Howard, he can only cover up so many mistakes made by others.
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 0
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 16
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18