Apr 9, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
LeBron James may be the best player in the NBA, but Carmelo Anthony is the biggest star on the biggest NBA stage — the scorer leading the best New York Knicks team in more than a decade — and that sells a lot of jerseys.
Anthony moved past LeBron into the top spot in national jersey sales, the NBA announced Tuesday morning. This is based on jersey sales at the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan and NBAStore.com from November 2012 to now.
Anthony was fourth last season but the resurgence of the Knicks this season — currently 50-26, second best record in the East — catapulted him up the list, as did the fact he is the NBA’s current leading scorer at 28.4 points per game. Surprisingly, Anthony is the first-ever Knick in the top spot, the NBA said.
The Knicks also lead the team merchandise sales list, which isn’t a surprise. That is followed by the Heat, Lakers and Nets — the move to Brooklyn and the new Jay-Z designed black-and-silver uniforms and look have made Nets gear a hot item since the start of the season. Plus, the Nets just moved to a much bigger market.
Here is the most popular jersey sales list:
1. Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks
2. LeBron James, Miami Heat
3. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
4. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
5. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls
6. Deron Williams, Brooklyn Nets
7. Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
8. Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics
9. Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers
10. Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers
11. Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers
12. Dwight Howard, Los Angeles Lakers
13. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder
14. Amar’e Stoudemire, New York Knicks
15. Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics
Top 10 Most Popular Merchandise (by Team)
1. New York Knicks
2. Miami Heat
3. Los Angeles Lakers
4. Brooklyn Nets
5. Chicago Bulls
6. Boston Celtics
7. Oklahoma City Thunder
8. Los Angeles Clippers
9. San Antonio Spurs
10. Philadelphia 76ers
May 30, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Some close to Thibodeau are encouraging him to sit next season out, and that may be his best option.
May 30, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Bogut claimed the Warriors’ series against the Grizzlies was more physical than the one against the Rockets, despite “aired fists and elbows” from Dwight Howard.
May 30, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Harden couldn’t do it all by himself.
May 30, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Oden was last seen with the Heat in 2014, but Memphis may have him in for a free agent workout next month.
May 30, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
May 30, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Report also says it’s expected that Wade and the Heat will work things out.
May 30, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He played good defense in the conference finals, the numbers show.
May 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He’s the frontrunner right now.
Doc Rivers on report that Chris Paul and DeAndre Jordan had a falling out: ‘I can put this to rest: They get along great’
May 30, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT
It’s literally Rivers’ job to quash these types of rumors.
May 29, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Why should he?
May 29, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Sefolosha suffered a leg fracture during a police incident that kept him from participating in the playoffs.
May 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Would you pay $700 for two pairs of sneakers?
May 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Jeff Hornacek remains in charge, but there has been some shuffling among his assistants.
May 29, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
There are questions about the future of Josh Smith, Patrick Beverley and others with the team.
May 29, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
The two most popular players in the NBA this season (with Kevin Durant out) go head-to-head on the NBA’s biggest stage.
May 29, 2015, 5:29 PM EDT
Cleveland’s defense has looked better in the playoffs than it has all season, but starting next Thursday it will get the biggest test it has had all season.
May 29, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
Skiles is a former Magic player from 1989 through 1994.
May 29, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Ayesha Curry cooks, Stephen Curry tastes, and Riley Curry points out raspberry-sauce spills
May 29, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Would hiring Thibodeau really a wise call by the Pelicans?
May 29, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
The NBA needs to review this process going forward.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15