Apr 8, 2013, 6:57 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like some misguided fools like to argue college basketball is better than NBA basketball….
• People, Cher is not dead. Relax.
• Gregg Popovich’s home was burglarized while the Spurs were out on the Rodeo trip and among the items stolen was his Air Force class ring. That sucks.
And now for something completely different, let me just use this as my soap box once again to say Popovich needs to be the Team USA coach now that Coach K is stepping away. Best coach in the game, respected by players, Air Force guy, he has a fantastic resume.
• Friend of this blog Rob Mahoney takes a closer look at the weaknesses in the Thunder have shown recently. I think we are overstating those flaws — this is still a very good team, a contender —but the flaws are there.
Westbrook and Durant make for one of the most potent shot creating duos in the league, but should an opponent manage to lock down Durant with any measure of success, it could throw Oklahoma City’s offense off-balance enough to make every game of a potential series winnable. As prolific as the Thunder are, the absence of a third playmaker — and their dependence on individual dribble-driving rather than team-wide ball movement — makes them susceptible to pressure-heavy schemes. If an opponent keys in on Durant and/or Westbrook in the same way that the Thunder once focused on (the Spurs Tony Parker), OKC becomes an imminently beatable opponent.
• The key to the Lakers making the playoffs (and what if anything the do once there) is fully dependent on their defense. And that’s not about Dwight Howard — it’s about the other guys on defense playing the system and not missing plays. We’re looking at you Kobe Bryant. And if you watched what Chris Paul did to the Lakers defense, you have to seriously doubt the Lakers can defend well enough for a full game, let alone four out of seven.
• I just made a defense of Mike D’Antoni. Here is a longer, more thoughtful one from our man Dave McMenamin.
• Some Bucks fans got in a fight with a Lakers fan because he refused to boo his team. By the way, these are some pretty screwed up people in this story.
• Tom Thibodeau agreed to a contract extension with the Bulls a while ago, but he just now got around to signing it. He’s that busy.
• The Blazers are moving to try to bring a future All-Star game to Portland. The NBA has criteria for who can host and it largely involves convention and hotel space — you need a lot of hotel rooms nearby. Not within 40 miles but nearby. Orlando hosted and did a good job but for my taste it was too spread out. I liked Houston, where you could walk from the arena/Jam Session to the media hotel (about a mile away). For the record, 2014 is in New Orleans and 2015 will be in Brooklyn or Manhattan (they were the two teams to apply). So we are looking at 2016 at the earliest.
Sep 30, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
Lakers might need Kobe’s scoring, but they shouldn’t count on that much from aging star
Sep 29, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Orlando’s new uniform a dud
Sep 29, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Road tickets to see the Cavaliers are $131.33 higher per seat than the second most expensive team, the Lakers.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Well, will he?
Sep 29, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Daryl Morey has way better hair than Trump.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT
Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey disappointed in what he’s learned so far about photos
Sep 29, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
If James Harden doesn’t play focused defense this season it’s Kevin McHale that pays the price.
Sep 29, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Anthony said it wouldn’t have felt right leaving after he forced his way to New York midway through the 2011 season.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Spoelstra applied only on a bet with his German teammates
Sep 29, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
KD has some words for those that questioned his motivation this summer, and they are not the words of Mr. Nice Guy.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
Sounds like fun
Sep 29, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Can he fit in the Celtics’ system better than he did in Indiana?
Sep 29, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Without LeBron James, how many setbacks – even small ones – can the Heat overcome?
Hornets GM: It was important for franchise to act “decisively and quickly” on Jeff Taylor domestic assault arrest
Sep 29, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
The Hornets made the right move so far, keeping Taylor away from team activities while the investigation goes forward.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
New York coming off a 37-45 season
Sep 29, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Magic guard swishes trick shot
Sep 29, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Franchise great becomes Special Advisor to CEO Steve Koonin
Sep 29, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Markieff Morris gets $32 million, Marcus Morris $20 million
Sep 29, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
John Wall is a star. Is Bradley Beal joining him?
Sep 29, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Diaw shows Spurs coach how he’s really keeping his weight down this offseason
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20