Dwyane Wade likely to sit out until start of playoffs

Apr 8, 2013, 10:52 AM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Miami Heat Getty Images

With the streak over, the Heat don’t have much of anything to play for. They have locked up the best record in the East and have a 3.5 game lead over San Antonio for the best in the NBA. All that matters the rest of the way for the Heat is to be healthy and rested for the second season.

So don’t expect to see a lot of Dwyane Wade until the postseason

He played through this knee issue a little but has sat six of the last eight Heat games, and there is no reason to push him so he expects to sit, the All-Star told ESPN.

“The most important thing is to be healthy,” Wade said Sunday, addressing the media for the first time since he last played March 29. “So when I feel it, then I’ll get back on the court. Obviously, I want to play. But I have to make sure that I’m right. You have to get healthy….

“We took care of business so we were able to say, ‘We have these injuries, so let’s take care of it now and be smart,'” Wade said. “I would love to be playing right now. As a player, if you get a couple of days off you, you want to get back to it. But I’m just trying to be smart with my doctors. When I feel like I can get back on the floor, then I will.”

Every player has bumps and bruises that could use some rest this time of year. Wade’s is a little more serious — he bumped knees with a defender in the March 6 Orlando game and it has bothered him since.

Just know the Heat are coasting the rest of the way and you likely will not see Wade again until they face Milwaukee in the first round.

1. cantonbound13 - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Broken down Diva

• 1heatedtoombrayduh - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I had to come by and LOL at how foolish this comment was haha…

• eventhorizon04 - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM

What’s funny is cantonbound13, in the article about the Hornets looking to trade Eric Gordon, wrote, “[The Hornets should] Trade him to NY for Amare, then amnesty Amare, save $18 million, no brainer.”

So even as a Knicks fan, he knows the most broken-down max contract player in the NBA is Amar’e Stoudamire.

He’s proposing trades of Amar’e to lottery teams, hoping those teams will amnesty Stoudamire since his own team, the Knicks, can’t do it because they used up their amnesty provision on Chauncey Billups.

So sad.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM

He is an idiot and proves it regularly

• cantonbound13 - Apr 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

First of all I’m flattered that you follow me. Secondly, the reason I would trade Amare is Melo is playing power forward this season & playing it incredibly well. Therefore, Amare is expendable. Amare has played well & I know can still play. He has a low post game, finally, after working all offseason with Hakeem. His field goal percentage has been incredible. He would Definately help a contender. I’m sure Miami wouldn’t mind having a low post threat like him, seeing that they’ve been trying hard to sign big men all season & are in discussions with Greg Oden, who has no knees.
        New Orleans just wants the cap space back & some pick because they are still rebuilding.
        So your comment, much like you as a person, is the only thing I consider so sad.
        F U BANDWAGONERS!!!!

• jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Canton, go play in traffic. Preferably Miami traffic because you don’t stand a chance moron

• miamatt - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM

^^^^^^^
        So New Orleans wants cap space so bad that they’ll give up one of their best players so that they can pay Amare the balance of his contract to not play for them?

Makes sense. Hard for you to call Heat fans delusional after putting that one out.

And the “post guys” Miami has interest in are for size and defensive purposes. Sound like Amare? No. The Heat were 1000% correct in choosing Bosh over Stat, it’s not even worth a discussion.

Go ahead, say, “blah blah Bosh Spice blah blah bandwagoners…” Then resort to some corageous semi-swear personal insult to somebody you’ll never meet. Nobody cares…

• cantonbound13 - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Hey Jimbo, What do you care if I play in traffic? You’re the idiot riding in the back of the little yellow bus, nothing you can do.

• heat256 - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Says the fat guy at a keyboard who can’t move 5 feet without wheezing. Grow up little girl.

• cantonbound13 - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Nothing better than frustrating the sesititive, mentally weak bandwagoners! You guys are big whiners like the Divas you look up to. So sad!

2. aboogy123456 - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

“With the streak over, the Heat don’t have much of anything to play for. ”

Yea, who cares about the fans who pay to come to these games, or the fact that this is your job and you are paid to play.

• jaydm84 - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I am willing to bet that most (if not all) fans would rather see a healthy wade in the playoffs than see him play in a regular season game. His job is to win. Do you go to work when you are sick?

• jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I’d rather see a title….again

Anyone who buys tickets to a late season, regular season game should know things like this happen every year

• miamatt - Apr 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM

As a fan who has paid to go the the Heat-Bucks game tommorow night, I knew this was a possibility when I bought my ticket. While I’d love to see the big 3 in action, I know that I’ll likely get one of them, at best.

And I have no problem with it. This is the last chance for over two months to take real time off to heal up injuries. While guys could play and likely be just fine, a devastating injury in a practically meaningless game is the kind of thing that gets coaches fired.

3. heat256 - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I’m not overly worried about Wade. I know at this stage in his career he is pacing himself. He’s played long enough to know how to get ready for the playoffs. If he’s doing better than he did for last year’s playoff run it’s all good. This team is deeper and ready to defend their title. Plus, having LeBron is the ultimate safety valve. No need to push himself any more than needed for right now.

• gmsingh - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM

What you say is true, but when you think that he has to rest himself so he can be half as good as LeBron it doesn’t sound very impressive.

4. eboneseagles - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Cantonbound makes all us knicks fans look bad…
    Anyways, good let him rest up for the big ECF matchup with the knicks.

5. cj1403 - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Yeah cus New Orleans would Love to trade their best player to get $18mil off the books that they would still have to pay and a horrible pick. You sir are almost as delusional as LakerLuver.

6. goldmember21 - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Just give the Heat the championship trophy already.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches