Apr 8, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
It’s been a rough season for Gerald Wallace. A guy who averaged 15 points a game every season from 2006 until last year (and last year he did hit that mark once traded to the Nets) is averaging 8 points a game on 40 percent shooting. The All-Star just three years ago has a PER of just 11.8 and he can’t seem to find his stoke.
It’s gotten worse lately — in his last five games Wallace is shooting 33 percent and scoring 6.5 points a game. Since the All-Star break he is shooting 14 percent from three.
Which is why now he’s passing up open jumpers as he did over the weekend. It’s not really physical with the 30-year-old, it’s in his head he told the New York Post.
“My confidence is totally gone,” Wallace told The Post Saturday. “I’m just at the point now … I’m in a situation where I feel like if I miss, I’m going to get pulled out of the game, you know what I’m saying? So my whole concept is just that you can’t come out of the game if you’re not missing shots.
“I think I lost the confidence of the coaching staff and my teammates. So my main thing is those guys can score, so instead of thinking about it so much, just trying to focus on defense, try to move the ball and get those guys shots.”
Wallace signed a four-year, $40 million deal to stay with the Nets last summer. He’s not going anywhere soon.
Wallace still plays a key role for the Nets as a defender, but come the postseason they will need him to knock down a few shots. He’s a good ball handler, good facilitator, but it will take more. The Nets look like they will be the four seed but it will not be easy getting the Bulls or Hawks in the first round. Those are both series the Nets should be able to win, but teams are going to help off Wallace and make him hurt them. He’s going to have to or he’ll hurt his own team.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14