Apr 8, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
It’s been a rough season for Gerald Wallace. A guy who averaged 15 points a game every season from 2006 until last year (and last year he did hit that mark once traded to the Nets) is averaging 8 points a game on 40 percent shooting. The All-Star just three years ago has a PER of just 11.8 and he can’t seem to find his stoke.
It’s gotten worse lately — in his last five games Wallace is shooting 33 percent and scoring 6.5 points a game. Since the All-Star break he is shooting 14 percent from three.
Which is why now he’s passing up open jumpers as he did over the weekend. It’s not really physical with the 30-year-old, it’s in his head he told the New York Post.
“My confidence is totally gone,” Wallace told The Post Saturday. “I’m just at the point now … I’m in a situation where I feel like if I miss, I’m going to get pulled out of the game, you know what I’m saying? So my whole concept is just that you can’t come out of the game if you’re not missing shots.
“I think I lost the confidence of the coaching staff and my teammates. So my main thing is those guys can score, so instead of thinking about it so much, just trying to focus on defense, try to move the ball and get those guys shots.”
Wallace signed a four-year, $40 million deal to stay with the Nets last summer. He’s not going anywhere soon.
Wallace still plays a key role for the Nets as a defender, but come the postseason they will need him to knock down a few shots. He’s a good ball handler, good facilitator, but it will take more. The Nets look like they will be the four seed but it will not be easy getting the Bulls or Hawks in the first round. Those are both series the Nets should be able to win, but teams are going to help off Wallace and make him hurt them. He’s going to have to or he’ll hurt his own team.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18