Brooklyn’s Gerald Wallace: “My confidence is totally gone”

Apr 8, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT

Gerald Wallace, Matt Barnes AP

It’s been a rough season for Gerald Wallace. A guy who averaged 15 points a game every season from 2006 until last year (and last year he did hit that mark once traded to the Nets) is averaging 8 points a game on 40 percent shooting. The All-Star just three years ago has a PER of just 11.8 and he can’t seem to find his stoke.

It’s gotten worse lately — in his last five games Wallace is shooting 33 percent and scoring 6.5 points a game. Since the All-Star break he is shooting 14 percent from three.

Which is why now he’s passing up open jumpers as he did over the weekend. It’s not really physical with the 30-year-old, it’s in his head he told the New York Post.

“My confidence is totally gone,” Wallace told The Post Saturday. “I’m just at the point now … I’m in a situation where I feel like if I miss, I’m going to get pulled out of the game, you know what I’m saying? So my whole concept is just that you can’t come out of the game if you’re not missing shots.

“I think I lost the confidence of the coaching staff and my teammates. So my main thing is those guys can score, so instead of thinking about it so much, just trying to focus on defense, try to move the ball and get those guys shots.”

Wallace signed a four-year, $40 million deal to stay with the Nets last summer. He’s not going anywhere soon.

Wallace still plays a key role for the Nets as a defender, but come the postseason they will need him to knock down a few shots. He’s a good ball handler, good facilitator, but it will take more. The Nets look like they will be the four seed but it will not be easy getting the Bulls or Hawks in the first round. Those are both series the Nets should be able to win, but teams are going to help off Wallace and make him hurt them. He’s going to have to or he’ll hurt his own team.

1. Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

And hopefully all the nonsense bluster from the 57 Nets fans that exist, along with it.

• tuberippin - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

When it’s all said and done it won’t matter; both BKLYN and NYK will be sitting at home watching Miami in the Finals.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Don’t hold your breath hoping for the Knicks to lose. You should be blue in the face after 76 games as it is.

• tuberippin - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I don’t need to hold my breath nor do I need to hope for anything, because the Knicks always find ways to lose — which is why they haven’t won a title in forty years. It’s cute that you think the Knicks as currently constructed could beat the Heat in a seven-game series though. The Knicks have gotten a lot better, but they’re not getting to the Finals this year. Sorry.

2. fanofevilempire - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

he should cut off the braids like Moesha did.

3. biasedhomer - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Another horrible Billy King signing

4. thomaskouns - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

This is what happens when I player relies on athleticism and not skills. When your athleticism starts to decline around 27 or 28, players who haven’t worked on other parts of their game decline rapidly in terms of production.

5. eboneseagles - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Knicks fan here, but I would honestly love to see the nets give Marshon Brooks a shot. Move Johnson to SF and let Brooks play the majority of Wallace’s minutes. The defense might suffer a bit but I’m sure Brooks could score double what Wallace does in the same minutes. I haven’t looked how many minutes Brooks is getting, but I think it’s under 20…

6. livepredictor - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Sleeper…he will excel when the postseason begins. Solid player from Alabama that fits this team. Go Gerald!

7. nycalldayz - Apr 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Might want to keep that to himself.

8. louhudson23 - Apr 9, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Limited game based on athleticism and heart. Failure to broaden your game and develop a wider skill set,as well as a quality shot(practice,practice,practice…then practice some more) results in a sharp drop in effectiveness when you lose half a step. Adaptation……or not…..Calling Mr. Iverson. Mr. Al Iverson……..

9. michaeljordanseviltwin - Apr 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I feel for Gerald Wallace. He’s a good guy; he re-signed in Charlotte because he said he felt he owed us for giving him a chance. OWED THE BOBCATS! Good guy.

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches