Apr 7, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
The Lakers will likely be without Steve Nash for the third straight game on Sunday when they report to Staples Center as the road team for an afternoon matchup against the Clippers.
Nash is still being bothered by a hip injury originally sustained on March 25.
If he does sit out Sunday as planned, it will essentially be the fourth consecutive game the Lakers have had to do without his services, as he played less than two minutes in a win at Sacramento back on March 30.
“I don’t think he’s going to go,” Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said after the Lakers’ practice Saturday afternoon. “We’re shooting for Tuesday, hopefully.”
“It’s serious because he’s not playing,” D’Antoni said when asking about the severity of the injury. “Hopefully not too serious. He’ll probably try tomorrow morning, but since he hasn’t (practiced), I think he’s very doubtful (to play Sunday).”
The Lakers have won three straight in Nash’s absence, most recently in exciting fashion by gutting out a close one at home over the Memphis Grizzlies on Friday.
L.A. is clinging to the eighth and final playoff spot in the West, sitting just a half game ahead of the Utah Jazz. The Lakers will need to finish the season a game ahead of the Jazz in the standings to make the playoffs, considering the fact that Utah holds the tiebreaker between the two teams by virtue of winning the head-to-head season series two games to one.
Steve Blake will continue to get the start in Nash’s place.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 3
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 0
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 26
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9