Apr 7, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
The Lakers will likely be without Steve Nash for the third straight game on Sunday when they report to Staples Center as the road team for an afternoon matchup against the Clippers.
Nash is still being bothered by a hip injury originally sustained on March 25.
If he does sit out Sunday as planned, it will essentially be the fourth consecutive game the Lakers have had to do without his services, as he played less than two minutes in a win at Sacramento back on March 30.
“I don’t think he’s going to go,” Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said after the Lakers’ practice Saturday afternoon. “We’re shooting for Tuesday, hopefully.”
“It’s serious because he’s not playing,” D’Antoni said when asking about the severity of the injury. “Hopefully not too serious. He’ll probably try tomorrow morning, but since he hasn’t (practiced), I think he’s very doubtful (to play Sunday).”
The Lakers have won three straight in Nash’s absence, most recently in exciting fashion by gutting out a close one at home over the Memphis Grizzlies on Friday.
L.A. is clinging to the eighth and final playoff spot in the West, sitting just a half game ahead of the Utah Jazz. The Lakers will need to finish the season a game ahead of the Jazz in the standings to make the playoffs, considering the fact that Utah holds the tiebreaker between the two teams by virtue of winning the head-to-head season series two games to one.
Steve Blake will continue to get the start in Nash’s place.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 6
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 19
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 12
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15