Apr 7, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
It’s one thing not to make the cut for the Hall of Fame when you should clearly be in.
It’s another to be told you are in, then find out you are not.
Spencer Haywood was told he was in and his former agent released that information last Friday afternoon (we ran it here at PBT as did many outlets). But later that day he found out he had been misinformed and had not made the cut. Yea, I’d be pretty pissed off, too.
“I don’t know why there was confusion,” Haywood said Saturday from Atlanta, where he is attending the Final Four. “Someone from the NBA told me I was in, then I found out Friday night that I wasn’t in.
“This is so embarrassing. My stomach has been so bad I can’t eat, I can’t sleep. This isn’t a punch in the stomach. It’s below the stomach.”
The official announcement comes Monday in Atlanta, and we know Gary Payton and Bernard King are in (as are college coaches Jerry Tarkanian, Guy Lewis and Rick Pitino).
The other blow to Haywood is that he should be in — one of the most graceful big men ever to play the game he is an NBA champion, an ABA MVP and Rookie of the Year, a four-time NBA All-Star (plus one in the ABA) plus he has a gold medal. He averaged 20.5 points and 9.9 rebounds a game for his career. That is a killer resume.
He should be in anyway, but this is the Hall of Fame and this is what we always seem to get.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 37
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42