Apr 7, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
LeBron James is favored by most to win the MVP award for his other-worldy play he’s displayed over the course of this season.
If James comes away with the trophy as expected, it’ll be the fourth of his career after 10 NBA seasons.
That would put him in some fairly elite company, and James is humbled by the fact that he’d be cemented alongside some of the league’s all-time greats.
Only four men have won four MVP awards, and some believe they are the four greatest players ever. They are Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (six), Michael Jordan (five), Bill Russell (five) and Wilt Chamberlain (four).
“Anytime I’m mentioned with the greatest players to play the game or people period, it is a wow factor because I grew up and studied those guys and watched those guys, and a few of those guys were my inspiration growing up,’’ James said.
Of course, all of those guys have many more championships than James does at this stage of his career. But the way he and his teammates have been playing, his second in as many seasons might be only a couple of months away.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37