Apr 7, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
LeBron James is favored by most to win the MVP award for his other-worldy play he’s displayed over the course of this season.
If James comes away with the trophy as expected, it’ll be the fourth of his career after 10 NBA seasons.
That would put him in some fairly elite company, and James is humbled by the fact that he’d be cemented alongside some of the league’s all-time greats.
Only four men have won four MVP awards, and some believe they are the four greatest players ever. They are Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (six), Michael Jordan (five), Bill Russell (five) and Wilt Chamberlain (four).
“Anytime I’m mentioned with the greatest players to play the game or people period, it is a wow factor because I grew up and studied those guys and watched those guys, and a few of those guys were my inspiration growing up,’’ James said.
Of course, all of those guys have many more championships than James does at this stage of his career. But the way he and his teammates have been playing, his second in as many seasons might be only a couple of months away.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 17
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10