Apr 7, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
LeBron James is favored by most to win the MVP award for his other-worldy play he’s displayed over the course of this season.
If James comes away with the trophy as expected, it’ll be the fourth of his career after 10 NBA seasons.
That would put him in some fairly elite company, and James is humbled by the fact that he’d be cemented alongside some of the league’s all-time greats.
Only four men have won four MVP awards, and some believe they are the four greatest players ever. They are Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (six), Michael Jordan (five), Bill Russell (five) and Wilt Chamberlain (four).
“Anytime I’m mentioned with the greatest players to play the game or people period, it is a wow factor because I grew up and studied those guys and watched those guys, and a few of those guys were my inspiration growing up,’’ James said.
Of course, all of those guys have many more championships than James does at this stage of his career. But the way he and his teammates have been playing, his second in as many seasons might be only a couple of months away.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13