Apr 7, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
LeBron James is favored by most to win the MVP award for his other-worldy play he’s displayed over the course of this season.
If James comes away with the trophy as expected, it’ll be the fourth of his career after 10 NBA seasons.
That would put him in some fairly elite company, and James is humbled by the fact that he’d be cemented alongside some of the league’s all-time greats.
Only four men have won four MVP awards, and some believe they are the four greatest players ever. They are Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (six), Michael Jordan (five), Bill Russell (five) and Wilt Chamberlain (four).
“Anytime I’m mentioned with the greatest players to play the game or people period, it is a wow factor because I grew up and studied those guys and watched those guys, and a few of those guys were my inspiration growing up,’’ James said.
Of course, all of those guys have many more championships than James does at this stage of his career. But the way he and his teammates have been playing, his second in as many seasons might be only a couple of months away.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6